Help - Pony Cannot be Bridled

DollytheConnie

New User
Visit site
Hi,
So I have an 18 year old Connemara mare, she’s a sweetheart! I’ve had her 6 years and she has never been headshy or difficult to put a bridle on! She moreless puts her head straight into it for you so you just pop the bit in!

However, I got her teeth done 3 weeks ago by a qualified equine dentist and since then I have not been able to go near her with the bridle without her rearing repeatedly! This is completely out of character! I have taken the bridle apart and got it in with no issue but its the bit that is the problem! When I go to pop it in the rearing starts again. I have also tried putting honey on the bit to no avail. The bit is same we’ve always used and is just a loose ring snaffle.

From her dental chart it does say she had sensitivity on 106 and 206 and this may be due to overgrowth and displacement and rebalacing may help it.

Ps. She was sedated for the proceedure.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Speak to the EDT and ask what she/he noticed and why she/he noted sensitivity. Get another EDT or vet out to take a look. If she's never previously exhibited this behaviour then she must be scared or in pain.

molar roller

Visit site
From her dental chart it does say she had sensitivity on 106 and 206 and this may be due to overgrowth and displacement and rebalacing may help it.

Hi,
suspicious situation.
firstly displacement is a congenital (inborn) malfunction. sometimes happens when horse is 1 or 2 years old. does not occur when horse is 18, it sounds like eye color change after 18.... did any other EDT say this before in past 12 years? An ordinary EDT can recognise it easly.
plase check the link, you can see ''displaced and rotated teeth'' middle of the page

http://www.equinedentalservices.org/equine-dental-problems.html
overgrowth may happen always, especially if a horse overbite you can see hooks on 106 and 206 (and she or he may call this as ''owergrowth'')
but, like I said if overgrowth occur due to displacement somebody must say it to you in past 12 years and fix it.

best scenario: while fixing the problem he/she give a damage inside of cheek , there is a wound and your your horse does not accept bridle.
worse : teeth broken and damage on the gumline. (in this situation the horse can not eat sometimes due to pain)

ask to any other EDT.

Last edited:

Wheels

Visit site
I would get the dentist back and ask them to show you exactly what the issues were - are there any cuts in the mouth etc.

Then depending on the outcome of that I'd get a second opinion and / or get a qualified physio to check the TMJ and hyoid apparatus as something may have been harmed during the floating process

DollytheConnie

New User
Visit site
The vet came out yesterday and basically said her teeth seem to be floated fine! The only thing she can put it down to is possible nerve damage. She has got a sinus infection and a swollen lymph node. She’s on an anti-bacterial and anti-imflammatory powders through her feed for the next 4 days.

However, her behaviour is still out of character, tense with just her muzzle area being stroked! The vet has advised not to bridle her until her course of powders is finished and then to attempt it again.

cundlegreen

Visit site
The vet came out yesterday and basically said her teeth seem to be floated fine! The only thing she can put it down to is possible nerve damage. She has got a sinus infection and a swollen lymph node. She’s on an anti-bacterial and anti-imflammatory powders through her feed for the next 4 days.

However, her behaviour is still out of character, tense with just her muzzle area being stroked! The vet has advised not to bridle her until her course of powders is finished and then to attempt it again.

I bought a horse that had a sinus op.Turns out the tooth was the problem and was rotten. She was very headshy as well. Had a very expensive op to remove the tooth and now she is fine. Would suggest an xray. You can't tell anything without, surely?