Help pony trashed muzzle within 1 day!!

Potato!

Visit site
I bought a Roma grazing muzzle yesterday, put it on him and he seemed to get the hang of it really quickly so left him to it. This morning I arrived to see the muzzle in 3 pieces in the field he had completely ripped the whole muzzle off then the headpiece and the nose band . Any ideas on which muzzle I can try next, I’m reluctant to spend lots of money on a green guard if he is going to trash it within a couple of days.

Oh the joys of a problem solving pony.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Shouldn't really have it on for more than 2 to 3 hours max each time to start with OP.
The midges etc are bad at present & poor pony was prob trying to rub to alleviate.
Mine only has one on for 50% of any 24hr period max.

Edited: Thought I saw you had got it yesterday in your 1st post

Potato!

Visit site
He was happily grazing when I left, it took him approximately 5 minutes to know what to do. I had been told by his previous owners that he had worn them before. I will try him in the green guard and if he trashes that one then I have no other option but to not turn him out.

Last edited:

horsemad32

Visit site
Roma muzzles have such thin rubber on the bottom, that all the ponies at my yard can happily destroy them in an afternoon! Apparently the Shires ones have changed recently (something about rubbing and a new design?), but I've used the KM Elite ones for a few years and they're amazing. I do sew some padding on the top bit or it rubs the nose slightly, but the bottom is good thick rubber, and it lasts. There are also more expensive ones on the market - Best Friend ones and Greenguard. Both those have thick bottoms.

Orson Cart

Visit site
I've just upgraded my muzzles and bought the new design Shire Deluxe ones - they have a nice piece of sheepskin already attached around the top of the muzzle to prevent rubbing, the have thick padded bits under the chin and over the poll to also prevent rubbing. I have to say, I'm quite impressed with them. Thick bottom to them. Not bad for a bucket style muzzle. My 13.2 can remove a head collar in two seconds flat but I have yet to find this muzzle in the field ... I may have just jinxed myself! xx Was very pleased to discover their small pony range fitted my 8hh mini shettie too! No more rubbing for us - I hope!

mirage

Visit site
The Green guard ones are expensive,but are guaranteed for a year.Our connie can destroy a webbing muzzle in days so I figured it was cheaper in the long run to buy the Green guard one.