Help! Rat control without traps or poison

Ranyhyn

Visit site
We are currently having a rat crisis in our storage barn. We keep it as clean as we can, but it stores our hay, sheep feed and horse feed and this winter we have a really booming rat problem.

We can't put poison down as we have dogs and although we usually put traps down, we are not happy to do this any longer as we keep catching our friendly local robins, which is really upsetting :(:(

So does anyone have any ideas or alternatives please? Thanks a lot.

ebonyallen

Visit site
Apart from getting a yard cat not really, but on our farm we use the pellets to control the rats, this is put in places where the dogs can not get to but the rats can, and does seem to do the job, the pellets go and we never see a rat around the farm.

camilla4

Visit site
Does anyone you know have a terrier you could borrow? A good ratter used on a regular basis can make quite a difference!!!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Sadly our dogs (terriers themselves) can get more or less into the places the rats can (apart from their holes) so it's just not an option for us.

The problem is, even with my own dogs (who are very interested and aware the rats are there) is that they dissappear back into their rat runs too quickly (these run underneath the concrete base of our barn) so we just can't get them.

I was thinking of ferrets and terriers?...

touchstone

Visit site
I use poison when needed and have dogs :) If you get a proper rat bait box and then you can fasten wax bait blocks inside the box with wire which the rats can't then carry off. Flushng out the runs with a hose can help move them out too.

touchstone

Visit site
Isn't there an issue that the rats will then die in the hole (and stink?) or die somewhere else and be available to the dogs?

They may well smell for a while, but I'd rather have a dead rat than a live one. ;)

As for the dogs eating any any dead rats it is important to remain vigilant for any dead bodies and safely dispose of them, but normally a dog would have to eat a lot of posioned rats to suffer, unless the dog is very small, and/or if rat ate a huge dose of bait, although rats tend to stop eating the bait once they receive a lethal dose. My dogs are always under close control so that I can see what they are doing, it may be more of an issue for dogs free roaming the yard.

The Merck Veterinary Manual says that for dogs 1.67 mg/kg is the minimum toxic dose of bromethalin; and that 2.5mg/kg can be lethal. A common formulation of rodenticide is made up of 14 gram blocks containing 0.01% bromethalin, or about 1.4mg of bromethalin per block or tab.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
This is the issue, our dogs do free roam our farm, especially when OH is out there trimming feet or drenching sheep.
I think I will look into those humane traps, also had some ideas regarding flushing with ferrets to terriers or birds so will look into that :)
And now have to peg up some extra fat balls for the remaining robin population :(

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Find someone with a rat smoker and use the dogs, you can use an old chainsaw with blade removed and a hose or a smokey car/bike exhaust and a hose. Or as said earlier, ferrets will shift them and straight out to the dogs. Both of these methods done on a regular basis will remove them and keep it rat free, Oz :)

touchstone

Visit site
This is the issue, our dogs do free roam our farm, especially when OH is out there trimming feet or drenching sheep.
I think I will look into those humane traps, also had some ideas regarding flushing with ferrets to terriers or birds so will look into that :)
And now have to peg up some extra fat balls for the remaining robin population :(

The only issue with humane traps is that you will have to despatch the rat yourself, which is fine if you don't mind doing that. Another option might be to set electronic traps although they are expensive but supposed to be very effective. I'd flush them out and let the dogs at them and then keep traps set for any that move in afterwards. Remember to cover any scratches you have especially when doing water buckets etc as weils disease is spread by rats urine.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
It will be the royal me (OH) doing the despatch! I couldn't kill anything I'm bloody useless!

Thanks for that tip though T-stone, I hadn't realised that (fairly new to farm living!)

NooNoo59

Visit site
get a pest man out and have poison put in safe boxes, worked for me, took about three visits though, the buggers breed like wildfire!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
we had ferrets in the past and that was sucessful way of giving the rats a nasty afternoon but they get wise to it after a few times and lie low rather than come out to the dogs once they get what's going to happen.
We do use bait boxes and have all the same fear about dogs etc you need to hide the bait boxes well away I put them out when curious Labradors are locked in the house . We keep agood look put for bodies and the odd time the labs catch one they never eat them .
In the feed room I have a cat litter tray with a lid I put the opening to the wall put the poisin in in the tray in a bowl push it behind the bin put bricks on top.
I never use blocks a a local farmer had a disaster when his terrier found one after they had used bales down to the level they had put the blocks in and the dod found an unused one.

liveryblues

Visit site
Rats will run anywhere as Im sure you know :) Cant you create a ledge out of reach of the dogs to lay bait? We have to be careful because the chickens roam free during the day, they get in everywhere! I put bait boxes near the eves (single story building) I have seen them scurrying along the ledge, the bait always goes :)

lazybee

Visit site
I put the traps up against the wall, behind a couple of roof tiles.That way you'll only get rats. I have a fox terrier who catches one or two and a humane trap that's quite good. I never get a serious problem with rats. I actually have a bigger problem with mice.

RobinHood

Visit site
Try filling a swing bin with water and put something tasty on the lid like peanut butter. The rats fall into the bin and drown.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
We had a bit of a rat issue, but I got 3 feral cats in, and my little lurcher and no rat problem now. Lurcher kills at least one a week, cats kill several. but you need to make sure your cats are real bruisers! I find my lurcher and my bedlington are an effective ratting team. We did see the rats in daylight, but the above method seems to have worked effectively. No daytime rat activity and no evidence of rat damage. I do insist that all liveries keep their food in metal bins, not plastic ones as the rats can eat through those. I also insist that any treats, licks etc are kept in metal containers too. No point feeding the rats.

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
Try filling a swing bin with water and put something tasty on the lid like peanut butter. The rats fall into the bin and drown.

That's inspired!! but quite gross at the same time!!

I would get in contact with your local mole man he'll know how to remove the little rats!

Or there is always the young farmers club... a small group of lads with terriers, ferrets and 4-10's will have a ball dealing with the rats! may cost you some pennies, but could be fun!

bumblelion

Visit site
I use poison, put up high out of the way of the dogs. TBH I haven't seen a rat this winter but last october we had loads of mice. Within 2 weeks of putting bait out they all went, didn't come across many bodies either. If the dogs came across any bodies, they just sniffed and left them (could probably sense the poison?). Did feel sorry for the little blighters though, they weren't shy and would come right up to me! Felt so guilty watching them scoffing the bait!
Along with putting bait down, I ensured everything was in bins and swept up immediately.

Yertis

Visit site
Pink plaster, the rats seem to love it, mix with a bit of corn to attract them so they get the taste for it, once it gets to their stomach and mixes with liquid it becomes a hard lump and bungs them up (so to speak) no poison so dogs/cats picking eating them will be fine (and won't eat the hard plaster lol!!) Several farmers around me use this as cheap and wont affect the collies & cats.

mtj

Visit site
I must be a fluffy bunny as I'm finding the bin/drowning option beyond grim.

Surely, terriers/ferrets/cats have to be a lot more humane.

Hope anyone who spends time lots of time outdoors has a sound knowledge of the symptoms of Weil's disease and keeps their tetanus vaccinations up to date.

Funkyfilly024

Visit site
My Dad has always connected up a pipe to the end of his series 1 Landy exhaust and shoved it down the hole, it gasses them and we then keep a terrier or rifles on hand to catch the ones that run out.

hayinamanger

Visit site
We've got 3 terriers and they are very keen to kill rats, but the rats are too clever for them, there are too many places they can hide, so the kill rate is disappointingly low. I bought some poison and a safe bait box, but the rats used the box to make a nest in and moved the poison out of it. You have to be so careful with poison, because even if you put it in a safe place, the rats do move it to other places.