Help re budget for new horse.

showpony

Visit site
So.... am officially on the lookout for number two - between myself & my instructor we have decided that as I am bringing on a youngster already and dont have tons of confidence jumping - a good been there done that jumping horse would fit the bill... So basically looking for something 15.2 max ( am small ) that has experience of jumping 1.10 tracks, not strong, no vices etc, -

I haven't a set budget in place but want to be realistic at the same time.....

Ive looked at a couple online & the prices a varying hugely - so ball park what could I look to pay?

showpony

Visit site
Wow that is low BUT Ive found plenty from 16.2+ quite reasonably priced but I really think I would be jumped out of the saddle @ anything 15.2 + so would rather stay in that height band.

Hmm I know someone who bought a grade A SJer 17hh for £4.5k recently . Seems that prices are pretty low at the moment !

be positive

Visit site
I think because you are looking for under 15.2 the price could be lower as it may be the size will limit how far it will go unless exceptionally talented but your problem will be finding one that size that is established at 1.10 plus.
I would probably look at event horses, maybe an intermediate horse looking to drop back, slow down a little or one that has found its limit and will not go advanced, price I have no idea Irish prices seem to be lower than over here but I feel it will be finding the horse at any price, within reason, that may be more of a problem.

showpony

Visit site
Good advice.. Ive found one I like but quite pricey considering age.... and trust me Irish prices are NOT lower lol....

I think because you are looking for under 15.2 the price could be lower as it may be the size will limit how far it will go unless exceptionally talented but your problem will be finding one that size that is established at 1.10 plus.
I would probably look at event horses, maybe an intermediate horse looking to drop back, slow down a little or one that has found its limit and will not go advanced, price I have no idea Irish prices seem to be lower than over here but I feel it will be finding the horse at any price, within reason, that may be more of a problem.

be positive

Visit site
Good advice.. Ive found one I like but quite pricey considering age.... and trust me Irish prices are NOT lower lol....

I think the prices for good horses will hold up whatever, it is the bottom end that drops ever lower giving people the idea that all horses are cheaper.

christine48

Visit site
Good horses still fetch good money. I've just sold a 6 yr old, good record novice eventing and jumping discovery for £15000. Had lots of interest and sold to the first to try her.

Pigeon

Visit site
Hmm I know someone who bought a grade A SJer 17hh for £4.5k recently . Seems that prices are pretty low at the moment !

There must have been something the matter with it! Someone local to me bought a grade A for £100k, and it's not even that consistent.

I agree, from what I've seen, prices vary a lot, for a straightforward ride you will probably have to pay more, but the fact that you'd consider a smaller horse goes in your favour.

michelleyork

Visit site
Horses like that are out there at cheap prices at the moment - I would look Scotland area and take a punt.

I made a brave/stupid move of buying a horse unseen from the depths of Scotland. Saw a video fell in love and offered the guy silly money and he accepted - made the offer on a Monday horse delivered following week. Have to say he is the most amazing horse I could ever have bought/found. He has a decent record at 1.20, 8yrs old, fab breeding and still in newcomers :)

Horses advertised in Scotland seem to struggle to sell as some people are just not willing to travel that far.

Yes, hands up, I will admit I have been exceptionally lucky with my chap and it could have gone horribly wrong - but I decided I could afford to waste the money if he wasn't the horse I thought he was - up to now I have had 5 offers of at least double what I paid for him, but this horse is here for life :)

showpony

Visit site
Wouldnt be brave enough to buy blind:( want something I can try a couple of times.
Am based the other side of the water so Scotland not an option unfortunatly

Horses like that are out there at cheap prices at the moment - I would look Scotland area and take a punt.

I made a brave/stupid move of buying a horse unseen from the depths of Scotland. Saw a video fell in love and offered the guy silly money and he accepted - made the offer on a Monday horse delivered following week. Have to say he is the most amazing horse I could ever have bought/found. He has a decent record at 1.20, 8yrs old, fab breeding and still in newcomers :)

Horses advertised in Scotland seem to struggle to sell as some people are just not willing to travel that far.

Yes, hands up, I will admit I have been exceptionally lucky with my chap and it could have gone horribly wrong - but I decided I could afford to waste the money if he wasn't the horse I thought he was - up to now I have had 5 offers of at least double what I paid for him, but this horse is here for life :)

MagicMelon

Visit site

Hmm personally I think 15.2hh's might be a bit more expensive since there's not so many of them (people seem to jump from ponies onto 16hh+). Dont see why a 15.2hh would have any problems at all with 1.10m and even 1.20m's.

You really can't get a rough figure for a horse these days, they vary hugely as you already know. I think simply set your budget and then look accordingly! Find one you like and buy.

MagicMelon

Visit site

I would agree with that to an extend. Drives me nuts since I'm in Scotland and I would see nothing of driving the length of the UK for what I thought could be the right horse, but hey ho a lot of you guys down south just dont fancy coming up north! We've got some really great horses up here too. My grey (now broken so retired!), I had up for sale at one point and I got heaps of calls from England yet even though all said he sounded "perfect", they couldnt be bothered to come up! He was one in a million too, I'll never find another horse as good as him eventing and BSJA.