Help re girth tender/advice re fleece liners and girth rings

Jnhuk

Visit site
Up to now I have used breastplate/martingales with a loop that the girth goes through.

However, one of my horses is letting me know that he is uncomfortable around his girth/transverse pectoral area between his front legs just since Thursday. I can't see or feel anything odd here but it is obviously tender when I have been going near this area - grooming or tacking up. He has been clipped here and I cannot feel or see any issues and have inspected my girths but all look good. Girth gets wiped clean between rides so not a bit of dirt rubbing that I can see.

He can be quite exuberant in the field and has been feeling rather well recently. My friend told me on Tuesday that he had been leaping and bucking about a lot after she had turned him out (she brought him in when she riding my other horse so not left in field on own). Just wondering if he just done something in the field larking about then that could have affected this area or just a coincidence.

Saddle, back etc been recently checked as had noticed his saddle was slipping to the right so saddle fitter did change his girthing arrangement recently and all seemed well until this week.

My gut feeling is that it is something to do with girth and/or martingale loop. So been looking at fleece lined girths which only seem to come with ring for training aids/breastplate/martingale to attach to.

Soooo, my daft question is how do girth rings work with normal martingale/breastplate loops?

D66

Visit site
Up to now I have used breastplate/martingales with a loop that the girth goes through.

However, one of my horses is letting me know that he is uncomfortable around his girth/transverse pectoral area between his front legs just since Thursday. I can't see or feel anything odd here but it is obviously tender when I have been going near this area - grooming or tacking up. He has been clipped here and I cannot feel or see any issues and have inspected my girths but all look good. Girth gets wiped clean between rides so not a bit of dirt rubbing that I can see.

He can be quite exuberant in the field and has been feeling rather well recently. My friend told me on Tuesday that he had been leaping and bucking about a lot after she had turned him out (she brought him in when she riding my other horse so not left in field on own). Just wondering if he just done something in the field larking about then that could have affected this area or just a coincidence.

Saddle, back etc been recently checked as had noticed his saddle was slipping to the right so saddle fitter did change his girthing arrangement recently and all seemed well until this week.

My gut feeling is that it is something to do with girth and/or martingale loop. So been looking at fleece lined girths which only seem to come with ring for training aids/breastplate/martingale to attach to.

Soooo, my daft question is how do girth rings work with normal martingale/breastplate loops?

He might be uncomfortable inside. Ulcers/hindgut.

Shay

Visit site
Valid point.

But to answer your question - some girths with a ring also come with a short leather strap what the martingale loop goes through - as it does on a stud girth. If it doesn't you can buy one. The lower part of the martingale will come up lightly longer than before so you might need to tighten it a hole.

Or you can get a clip - like the ones you find on draw reins etc, undo the martingale loop completely (be careful - not all makes can undo) and thread the clip into the loop and clip to the ring. I'll try to find some shopping links so you can see what I mean.

PorkChop

Visit site
One of ours had something similar.

When the physio came out she also had sore pec muscles, which she treated and gave us an after exercise stretch for. Problem sorted, could have been a slip in the field or snapping her little peg legs up over a jump :)

I would honestly try a Stubben string girth when you are not jumping. You can also get soft strap attachments for a martingale to go around a girth.

Jnhuk

Visit site
He might be uncomfortable inside. Ulcers/hindgut.

It is possible but not on the top of my list.

I really would be surprised with the way he is kept as he has a high fibre diet, not had any recent bute etc and regular WEC all fine so only needed wormed once per year in winter for the last couple of years as recommended by Westgate. He has lived out 24/7 all his life and there has been no change in routinue lately apart from me not riding him for 10 days beginning of October as I was away on holiday. He is an extremely good doer so doesn't get concentrates just enough fast fibre and little oat straw with forageplus balancer.

He is not showing any other signs of hindgut or gastric ulcers

Jnhuk

Visit site
Valid point.

But to answer your question - some girths with a ring also come with a short leather strap what the martingale loop goes through - as it does on a stud girth. If it doesn't you can buy one. The lower part of the martingale will come up lightly longer than before so you might need to tighten it a hole.

Or you can get a clip - like the ones you find on draw reins etc, undo the martingale loop completely (be careful - not all makes can undo) and thread the clip into the loop and clip to the ring. I'll try to find some shopping links so you can see what I mean.

Thanks Shay - the girth I have that came with a ring didn't have a short strap and never used a stud girth before or draw reins to that matter so not that familiar with it. Have seen certain training aids that come with a clip instead of the end loop. All the breastplates and martingales I have are a closed loop which you can alter in size but cannot actually undo.

Would much appreciate any links! Many thanks in advance :)

Jnhuk

Visit site
One of ours had something similar.

When the physio came out she also had sore pec muscles, which she treated and gave us an after exercise stretch for. Problem sorted, could have been a slip in the field or snapping her little peg legs up over a jump :)

I would honestly try a Stubben string girth when you are not jumping. You can also get soft strap attachments for a martingale to go around a girth.

Thanks for this as this is what I am suspecting. Will go and have a google for the attachments. Think I have a string girth which came with a previous horse but suspect it may be a little long but thanks for this. Curious why not to jump with the string girth? I remember they were all the rage in the 1970/early 80s and pretty sure I did everything with them!

Rosesandhorses

Visit site
If he's just been clipped and this has become a problem I would lean towards him just being a bit more sensitive because of this. The Le Mieux girth sleeve covers are brilliant and you would see an immediate improvement, if not then you can go down the route of getting the physio back out. You can then just thread your martingale on as normal - you could even make your own cover for the loop to soften this too with a bit of woolly fabric. Hope this helps!

PorkChop

Visit site
Thanks for this as this is what I am suspecting. Will go and have a google for the attachments. Think I have a string girth which came with a previous horse but suspect it may be a little long but thanks for this. Curious why not to jump with the string girth? I remember they were all the rage in the 1970/early 80s and pretty sure I did everything with them!

No reason, apart from the fact that I always jump with a stud girth and I always worry they will catch their shoes in the string if they are neat with their front legs :)

Doublethyme

Visit site
My mare has twice pulled her pectoral muscles being a prat in the field. Few days off riding, lots of massaging and working on line over poles and she's fine.

However separately she has also had hind gut issues which show same symptom on girthing but additionally she is generally more agitated and her saddle continually slips to the right. When hind gut under control it doesn't and she is much straighter. Therefore I wouldn't rule this out.

Jnhuk

Visit site
My mare has twice pulled her pectoral muscles being a prat in the field. Few days off riding, lots of massaging and working on line over poles and she's fine.

However separately she has also had hind gut issues which show same symptom on girthing but additionally she is generally more agitated and her saddle continually slips to the right. When hind gut under control it doesn't and she is much straighter. Therefore I wouldn't rule this out.

I am not ruling it out but I will keep it in mind but I would be surprised if it is this as he is lives in a field all year round and he is hardly ever stabled (apart from when friend hacks out field companion once a week) and when looking at the management of such issues, his management is already what is suggested apart from any medication or supplementation. How did you get your mare's hind gut issues diagnosed and how are you controlling it? What causes her to have recurring issues again?

The slight girthiness is his only symptom that I can find. He droppings are regular and consistent and not noticed any changes in them whilst poo picking the field. I have also tried pressing the acupuncture points as on the ulcer/gut issues video on youtube and not getting any responses to indicate this from him.

Doublethyme

Visit site
You'd be surprised how many horses on perfect on paper regimes are on the ulcer groups on fb. My mare is happier living out but her gut does better with more restricted turnout and muzzling when the grass flushes and her worst time is Sept/ Oct every year. The autumn flush seems to cause her more problems than any other time.

Not saying that's the case with yours, but food for thought.

Jnhuk

Visit site
Realised forgot to update this thread - physio came out and we are dealing with tear is his pectorals - not sure of cause by presuming caused by larking about in the field. Anyway have got a le mieux fleece girth thing for when we get back to riding....