HELP! Respiratory infection/immune system problem - long story

Denise5

Visit site
Four days after finishing a month long course of Trimsulp for a sheath infection, my 19 year old gelding developed a cough and his respiration rate was higher than normal. At first there was no nasal discharge but a few days later there was a white/yellow discharge. The vet examined him with an endoscope, noting pus. His temperature and appetite was normal. He was put on a course of a penicillin based drug for one week while swabs from his sheath and nasal discharge were sent for analysis. The vet returned with the results which showed an e coli bacteria (penicillin resistant) in both the sheath and the nasal discharge. At this stage the vet could hear wheezing and crackling sounds on the gelding's lungs. The gelding then had a four day course of Excenel. When the vet returned after the course of Excenel and listened to the gelding's lungs she said "Clear lung sounds". So it appeared the Excenel has wiped out the bad bacteria. The gelding then had a teaspoon of Potassium Oidide put into his feed once a day (for ten days) to try to clear the gunk from his lungs. During this time he coughed up phlegm and had a constant discharge from his lungs. Now we have finished the Potassium Oidide: the gelding's nasal discharge is now almost clear but he is still coughing and his respiration rate is still high. It's as though the original antiobiotic for the sheath infection has affected his immune system. The gelding hasn't gotten any worse or better. I am now trying a homeopathic mixture (from a qualified herbalist) in the gelding's feed twice a day to try to boost his immune system and keep the bad bacteria away. The vet has mentioned putting the gelding to sleep (we've had him for 18 years and before all of this, there was still plenty of life left in him) and I know if the gelding goes downhill, we will have to face this. I don't know if I'm prolonging the inevitable or there is still hope. Any helpful information or advice out there please would be most welcomed. Does the respiration rate, of horses with respiratory infections, ever come back to normal? Will my horse ever by OK again?

the watcher

Visit site
Yes, respiratory infections and weakness will improve, but it will take months, not weeks and a major regime change to prevent these problems recurring.

Everything else appears to be improving so I think you just have to be prepared that this is going to be a slow recovery

Denise5

Visit site
Thanks for that. You've given me (and my gelding) the hope I need.

After he's finished the homeopathic mixture, should I give him one of the immune boosting products on the market as well or just let nature take its course and let him recover slowly on is own?

the watcher

Visit site
I am a big fan of NAF Pink Powder, and you can use it long term, it might help recovery.
You will need to reconsider your management in terms of reducing dust, as it is almost certain your horse will have a chronic respiratory problem as a consequence of this, but these can be managed.

Global Herbs do a good range of products to support this if you need something long term and are very helpful on the phone

Denise5

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate your help. I'll enquire about the product you mentioned. I live in New Zealand so not sure if that particular product is available.

My horses live outdoors all year round (covered) and at the time the gelding developed the cough we were into spring and he wasn't needing any hay - just hard feed and grass. That's why I wondered about a link between the antibiotic he had been on for the sheath infection prior to developing the respiratory infection.

We have since been in a drought though and I guess the dry conditions can't be helping his respiratory system. And because of the drought, I've starting feeding hay again.

How do the immune boosting products actually work?

Thanks

the watcher

Visit site
Not a nutrition expert but I have had to learn to deal with COPD so I know what works, but not how it works - and you can have whatever I have learned through trial and error over the last 4 years. The mare I have has a chronic condition as a result of becoming ill after she had her foal some 7 years ago. 4 years ago she had a cough, and although it has improved several things will still set it off, we are surrounded by oilseed rape fields and they affect her, stable dust affects her.

NAF Pink Powder is a multivitamin and mineral supplement with added probiotics, it can be given as a short course to boost wellbeing, or long term as a general vit and min.
Global Herbs do some international deliveries, their contact page is here . An alternative is Farnam in the USA who do a product called Cough Free which is very similar.

I don't feed hay now, even if you soak it it still seems to induce a cough, I have to feed haylage and I use completely dust free bedding

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Dodson & Horrell do a high quality pure echinacea. Echinacea supports and anhances the immune system. My 22 yr old gelding is permanently on it as a preventative following an unexplained and lengthy low grade cough (now cleared). My rescued mare is also on it permanently as she has severe ragwort poisoning and, again, she is doing very well and has gained weight and condition. Wishing you and your boy the very best of luck.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Yep. I second echinacea. In fact I'm beginning to be a bit of a natural remedy convert since (either coincidentally or not) each time I have begun to administer natural remedies, my pony has got over whatever ailment has set in. I swear by devils claw, too.

Denise5

Visit site
Thanks for the info. Did your gelding have a high respiration rate as well as the cough? How long did he have a cough for? Thanks again.

varkie

www.varkiesstud.co.uk
For a horse with a respiratory problem, I cannot recommend Winergy Ventilate highly enough - we used it on our COPD mare, and it had an amazing effect. It was originally recommended by our vet, and I've since recommended it to others, and it has been as brilliant for them as for us.

loobiloo

Visit site
Gunn - was wondering how you were getting on, sorry I haven't got back to you after our last PM. Don't give up, as watcher says recovery will take a long time. Forgot to ask, did your vet prescribe ventipulmin?