Help! Scary happening...

Asimmons

www.apricotfox.com
Went to put Saff out in the field this am to find her dozing in her stable. I clippe don her lead rope and led her out. Then I turned her round to tie her up while I changed her rug. She pulled back violently, rolled her eyes, staggered backwards then forwards then tilted right over so that I thought for a moment that she was going to fall on me. She staggered about for another 30-45 seconds or so and then stood still. She seemed to be ok. I waited for a couple of minutes and then changed her rug and put her out. She ambled off in her usual fashion. Do you think she was just half asleep/had pins and needles ( she is 18) or was it indicative of something more serious?

FleabittenT

Visit site
Does sound scary! I'd ask the vet to check her over, just to be on the safe side. Staggering around & fear she's going to fall ring alarm bells to me. Hope she's ok
smile.gif

BigRed

Visit site
My friend has a pony that is 23. The other week she was picking out her feet in the stable and she quite literally fell over. The pony was quite unconcerned and just got up again. My friend had the vet out, who said it is not uncommon for older horses to do things like this, saing "it usually means something hurts" and told her not to worry.

I have to say, I probably would worry a lot if this happened to me.

I would say it was worth getting your horse checked out, just to be safe.

Asimmons

www.apricotfox.com
I had the vet out a week ago because she seemed a bit unhappy in her feet...very slightly short in front. He diagnosed early arthritis and she is on msm/glucosamine hydrochloride and a bit of bute before and after exercise...maybe her joints kind of lock?

indiat

Visit site
My 23 year old nearly fell over when I ws picking her feet out one day and it turns out she has the shivers. Oil in her diet has really helped and we have learned to work around it but I would get the vet out, asap.

Asimmons

www.apricotfox.com
Spoke to the vet...reckons it's just artthritic stiffness...after all, pony has been living out until this week, so it is a big ask: a whole 12 hours in a stable after wandering around a 4 acre field. I just have to keep an eye on her in case I see similar behaviour a propos of nothing..then she'll need a neurological examination.