Help Searching for a new horse, where to look? WWYD? Any ideas?

ponyforever

Visit site
I am looking for a riding club horse, I have had one fail the vet but can't find any more horses to look at. I am looking for a 15.2-16hh, over 6 years old to show jump up to 1 metre. Hack alone, good with traffic.

I will only look at horses with a proven record either traceable UA or a BS british novice and disco or BE record at BE90, and I would expect to see a video of the horse competing but no one seems to be able to supply a decent competition video. Am I being unreasonable?

I have restricted the counties I will look in to Berks, Hampshire, Oxfordshire and Wiltshire - so perhaps location is holding me back? Any ideas where to consider? Can you see any adverts I have missed? Will spend up to 6500k.

feeling a bit deflated that i can't find anything, so hopefully someone can help here.

nato

Visit site
If you are looking for a riding club horse, do you really need one with a proven record? Would you consider going via riding club word of mouth or go out and watch a horse competing?

ponyforever

Visit site
Hi

Thanks for the idea, we haven't had any luck with the word of mouth route yet!

good idea r.e. Seeing a horse compete, i guess my reasoning for a competition record is it provides evidence the horse can do the job.

only_me

Visit site
I am looking for a riding club horse, I have had one fail the vet but can't find any more horses to look at. I am looking for a 15.2-16hh, over 6 years old to show jump up to 1 metre. Hack alone, good with traffic.

I will only look at horses with a proven record either traceable UA or a BS british novice and disco or BE record at BE90, and I would expect to see a video of the horse competing but no one seems to be able to supply a decent competition video. Am I being unreasonable?

I have restricted the counties I will look in to Berks, Hampshire, Oxfordshire and Wiltshire - so perhaps location is holding me back? Any ideas where to consider? Can you see any adverts I have missed? Will spend up to 6500k.

feeling a bit deflated that i can't find anything, so hopefully someone can help here.

I'm sure lots of People would sell their horse for 6500k :p

6.5k is a reasonable budget for what you want, but why do you need to have proof of their record? Are you looking a schoolmaster or one that has potential to go on, and within what age bracket?

ponyforever

Visit site
Hi

Age bracket is ideally an 8 year old who is getting established up to the age of 13.

I have seen lots of 5/6 year olds but we don't have an arena at the yard so i wouldn't have the facilities to seriously bring a horse on.

I am just finding when i request videos I am sent a video of a horse jumping a course of 80cm at home when they claim its out competing 90cm+, so i'm surprised when they can't provide a video of it at a show! Ahh!

At least a record proves it has been out some where!

be positive

Visit site
I don't think you are expecting too much to see a video of a horse jumping a course either at home or away at the height it is advertised as competing successfully, if jumping is important to you then being able to check the record is equally important, all too often people totally exaggerate what they have been doing, jumping 1 round at 80 is within the capabilities of most horses, if they have ability to do more then they need to prove it otherwise everyone is going to end up wasting time.

I am just about to put a livery pony up for sale and am currently getting a bit more video/ photos ready for this very reason, I don't understand why some people cannot manage this especially if they are regularly out competing it is so easy to video now and edit if required!!

nato

Visit site
If you are searching local only and the horse seems nice from what you see, ask to see the horse out competing. If he is out competing shouldn't be an issue. I rang about a horse today and the owner said she goes everywhere along and has no good videos but invited me to go watch her compete in the 1m class on Saturday which is enough for me :)

ponyforever

Visit site
Thanks all, it is reassuring to know that i'm not being unreasonable to want to see proper video footage.

I completely agree its a good idea to watch a horse compete, I just need to find one local enough to view - nothing on horsequest that i can see at the moment :(

Irish gal

Visit site
I know of horses being sold for up to €100,000 with no competition record. What is important is what the horse can do and that doesn't have to be shown through a competition record.

If he's jumping a 1.40m course at home, with a good enough rider he will do the same at a show. If he's jumping the levels you want unaffiliated and you can see proof of that through him jumping a 1m track I don't see a problem. It's how many horses are sold over here at least. The main thing is that he's capable of doing what you want - so if you watch him jump a 1m course at an equestrian center or at home then he's capable of that. Many people don't start their horses in affiliated competitions, it doesn't mean they're not capable of that.

rsw200

Visit site

I don't think your asking too much and i had the exact same issue with my search three months ago. I'm based in Kent and restricted my search to the south east and similar locations you have mentioned above and defo felt this was a factor holding back my search especially when matching the budget as horses in these areas tend to be more expensive. But all i would say is to just keep looking and hold out as the right one will come along. After trying 12 different horses I am now the proud owner of an amazing BE90/100 mare and she was only an hour drive away coming from a loving private home where they were totally honest about her and the sale. I think its right that you demand competition evidence if this is what you are buying the horse for.
If west Sussex isn't too far away you could try a place called Hazelhurst stables-I tried a wonderful gelding there but decided he was a bit older than I was looking for and found my mare instead. However they are really nice people there- horses are of top quality and the ones that they are selling as competition horses have lots of vid footage and often BE records. Maybe worth a try? If not i would say just keep a close eye on horse quest and when calling up about the horses ask as many questions as possible! Also try and talk to local instructors and see if they know of anything for sale through word of mouth!
Good luck!

Chumsmum

Visit site
A lot of Riding Clubs have facebook pages and websites so might be worth looking on there. Also let your local instructors, farriers, physios etc know what you are looking for as they often hear of horses coming up for sale before advertised. Good luck in your search xx