HELP!! Serious issues in warm up

bugsysmum

Visit site
Hi everyone
Last year at Towerlands BD my youngster got scared of all the big impressive horses in the warm-up cantering at him (he thought) and started spinning and taking off to escape them. Since then, I've managed to keep going to smallish shows or places where they have kindly let me warm up away from the others. I really thought he was getting over it as we've managed a warm up with 6 or 7 others and coped ok. But in Jan, we had to do a busy warm up, which really upset him, so I had to take him out, and then yesterday he lost the plot with only 2 others in a 20x60 arena!
I'm really worried about how to get him over it - I know I've got to the stage where I'm stopping him when other horses come towards us in case he does it again and sets them off, and I'm sure this isn't helping. I'm also getting very tense about it, which I know also doesn't help him.
Yesterday, the two other people in there very kindly let me walk round with them for a couple of circuits - it took me 3/4 of the school to get him near the first horse to walk alongside it. But then once we all went back to normal and even though they were both at the other end, he was trying to run away from them which resulted in not being able to warm up properly and a very tense test.
I have arranged to ride in the school at home with someone next weekend, and am going to try and go hire a school with someone too. I'm usually last at the yard so we're on our own schooling in the evenings.
Has anyone got any tips for helping us both get over it? We've got the Petplan finals at Hartpury in April and I'm having all sorts of nightmares about it now!
Also, how do I stop the "rude" element at shows from cutting me up (which started him off) or coming too close?
Sorry it's long - help!!
confused.gif

kick_On

Visit site
sorry to read BUT there is a lot of 'gamemanship' in warm-up arena. It is a case of getting out there and prastice, prastice and not to being ' A Scared Bunny' in warm up. I've found that if you give those vibes out in arena you attract ALL THE RUDE RIDER to PUSH you out of arena.........

You just have to get your horse used to other people warming up .... and that practise and if some rides AT you..... you have the Scarer Pony, ride back at them -WITHIN THE RULES and then these folks will see whats happen and realise that you can't be pushed out of arena and then they will pick on someone else....

samp

Visit site
I used to have the same issues with my old horse and I think I made it worse by tensing when other horses approached. Can you get someone else to take out and warm up and see how your horse responds? Then you'll know its you rather than the horse. Also I find to relax sometimes I hum to myself or count. So its worth a try (just don't do it out loud) Though i'm often humming out loud whilst warming up - just helps me to focus and stay relaxed

PiaffeRM

Visit site
Gosh! Can it really be like that?
confused.gif

I used to find it a bit like that when I was doing BYRDS (back in the day) but put it down to kids!
grin.gif

I haven't seen any of this since I have been back on the circut. But then, perhaps its because we are so bad that we are not seen as a threat?!
confused.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif

amandathepanda

Visit site
I would box to as many different arenas as possible and try to have group lessons with sensible people (and an instructor on the ground) who will help you feel more confident. When you & your horse can cope with that, start going off to comps & just work in in the warm up as if you are competiting but without entering a class ( you might want to check with the organiser that this is ok - most RC venues will be fine). Hopefully this will reassure you & your horse that you won't be squashed/eated alive by big scary posh horses
smile.gif

kick_On

Visit site
ooo yes they see the whites of your eyes and the RUDE ones go for you. I've found you just got to stand your ground and be polite BUT defo say, 'Cantering up outside' etc... and please and thanks, go a long way.

Last time i was attempted to be rode off..... the girl didn't realise that whatever see did to me i would do back. MEDUIM CANTER on track going left to left, sorted her out, she left me and warm up arena alone. And it was that bad other girl warming up thanked me for doing it!

Judie

Visit site
I personally wouldn't be focusing on the others in the warm up, I would make sure he is working and concentrating on you and you alone and as soon as he 'notices' the others get his attention straight back, you may now be in a vicious circle whereby you're worried he'll be worried and he is worried because you are giving out worried signs, if that makes sense.

I would agree with others, take him (and I think now more importantly yourself) out to as many different environments as you can, clinics, group lessons, friends joining you in the school and really really focus on him and not who is in there with you.

You can break this cycle with a focused mind, good luck.

bugsysmum

Visit site
Thanks all for your advice
LOL kick-on - it took me a couple of minutes to get him to walk alongside the other horse, I'd have no chance riding at anyone!!
blush.gif

Thanks Samp - I am a nightmare for forgetting to breathe, so will hum - maybe the others will think I'm the crackpot and steer well clear! unfortunately, no one else has ever ridden my chap, so I think he may find that a little more upsetting than the other horses!
confused.gif

Panda, thanks very much - I am going to try and join a group lesson next weekend (and warn them in advance!)
grin.gif

Will keep you posted on how we get on!

bugsysmum

Visit site
Thanks TOG - that makes huge sense, and I am definitely in the vicious circle. Fingers crossed the group on Sat will help..

TayloredEq

www.tayloredequestrian.com
All of the above are correct and will help, but if he is panicky about other horses also experiment with calmers. They can help to get the horse to focus on you.

Different products work for different horses. I found equine america super calm really good with a young stallion. He now doesn't have to have anything.

It is ocmpetition legal, however a bit pricey (£20 a syringe) But this might just help to break the cycle and be able to get him to listen to you.

also if you are getting nervous about it try some herbal calmer for yourself also. Can't think what the nmost popular one is but my friend swears by it.

Tanta

Visit site
We own a horse who has been very successful at dressage, called Paper Tiger. Like yours, he does not like other horses coming at him, and can get very tense and upset if he is in a warmup with a lot of other horses who come too close. His natural reaction is to launch himself in the air and start getting more and more upset. Luckily Ruth (Edge) who rides him is very experienced and looks after him, by making sure she always anticipates as much as possible where people are going, and gives him plenty of space. If she does see someone is going to come very close, she brings him back to walk and pats him, as he is a lot less likely to leap away when walking. Where possible at importent shows we usually manage to find alternative warmup for him - so at the Nationals he used a smaller warmup which noone else seems to use, and at the Winter Championshiops he warmed up on the grass (only one who did, everyone else was having an awful time in their small wamrup arena) . And of course outside when he is eventing it isnt usually a problem as he has more room. But he is certainly a lot better now than he used to be - he is 8 this time - and strangely he is fine warming up for showjumping - when of course everyone is usually going the same way around the arena. So the key with him seems to be planning to make sure he doesn't get scared, and reassuring him rather than having a battle with him. Good luck, they definitely do get better with time...

pinktiger

Visit site
How difficult for you, is hard at the best of times to get young horses warmed and working well without him having the fear of being 'runova', and becoming tense ect as a result, I think all the advice you have had is brilliant and a 'dressage clinic'(along those lines) (u could chat to the instructor when booking and let her kno your fears) mayb would be just the ticket! Hes obv very talented and with your obv dedication to him he will deffo come through!!!

TarrSteps

Visit site
Warm up rings can be brutal! I don't think people mean to be rude (well, MOST don't mean it) so much as they are wound up, nervous and in an aggressive place, only thinking about what they want to get done. I do think some people, even unconsciously, think it's "okay" to shake up other people's horses because it's all part of the "competition" but there really isn't any way to get them to stop unless they do something the Steward can address. What you can do, though, is try not to be the person they can pick on - bullies are bullies and it's no different than anywhere else. But in the end it's up to you to keep yourself and your horse safe and to do your work without inconveniencing others.

Collecting rings can be hell for baby horses - I think you'd be surprised by how many horse's "show issues" are more about warm up anxiety. I've had young horses run into, hit accidentally with whips, get caught against the kickboards, barged into . . . but you can do a lot to both help your horse cope and to lessen some of the risks.

One, you have to get your horse out in controlled situations. (I try to get this done a couple of times before showing but for some it's necessary to keep doing it.) Schedule some arena time at a busy facility (warning them you might have a problem so they can tell you the best time to come), ask your instructor to let you join a couple of group lessons or ride around someone else's lesson, go out for a clinic or schooling day. This will allow you to work with other horses in a relaxed way for an extended period and gradually increase what you ask of your horse.

Two, you have to make really, really sure he's on the aids. He MUST go forward immediately and properly when you ask, even if he thinks it's not such a good idea. He must go into your hand in a ridable way so you can keep him straight and contain his forward motion. (I'm sure you've worked on all this and he does it well but he might have to be a little MORE confirmed than another horse his age to deal with his particular anxieties.) Try taking him places he's reluctant to go but even when schooling at home make sure he's ALWAYS in front of your leg. This will not only make him more confident in you but will help you control him when he does get anxious as it will be habit for him to go. Besides, it's just proper training. Some horses are easy going/brave enough that people get away with not having them in front of the leg but that doesn't make it good practice.

Three, plan your collecting ring experiences ahead of time. If I have a horse that's very anxious I try to plan where I'm going to go with the facilities in mind. I've had some particularly anxious youngsters that just don't start showing indoors as I don't think they will handle the atmosphere right off the bat - they wait until I can take them somewhere with lots of room. Courses for horses. Try to get to the show will LOTS of time so the horse can walk around or even stand and watch from a safe place if he will settle enough. Start your warm up away from the crowd and make sure you are calm and organised right from the start. Work him in with a plan in mind, in which ever way you and your instructor have decided on and don't change just because someone else is doing something different. Work within his capabilities and be tactful but insist he work correctly in what you ask.

Take a few minutes to get yourself in the right mindset, feeling as confident as possible. Lower your breathing rate, consciously relax your body and check your position is correct. Concentrate on riding well, not simply on what's going on around you.

As far as other people, you can warn them you might have some trouble and ask for their help but do it in a calm, cheerful way, not with an edge of panic in your voice. Pick someone (as you did) who looks friendly and ask if you can walk with them but all the time making your horse work, even if you're just walking on a long rein. If you can avoid the bullies try but not if it puts you off your own game. But DON'T start an argument - that won't help your horse stay calm and will likely just make more tension in the ring. Ask respectfully if they could give you a bit more room or warn you where they're going next or whatever the problem is. Horses cantering towards them freaks most baby horses out so try to avoid that as much as possible, turning away in good time and/or cantering as much as possible in the same direction.

You might want to ask your instructor to come to your next show if possible. It can be a great help to have someone you trust there and help in the warm up can keep you focussed on the job. It also helps other people know where you're going and what you're trying to work on, as well as making them less likely to push you around. It also helps your instructor see what's going on and helps him/her offer you correct situational advice.

It's all part of the process and many horses start out this way. With a bit of planning you'll be just fine.

bugsysmum

Visit site
Thanks again people. I've been recommended to try Nupafeed calmer (which is legal) so will give that a bash for the clinic next weekend. And already have a bottle of Rescue Remedy for me, which I took a swig at before I got on!!
Cruiser - thanks for your ideas. He's pretty much in front of my leg normally - I must stop freezing when it happens and see it coming so I can ride through it. I think I'll try the friendly warning call out that he's a baby so look out! And will be pestering as many people as possible to come and ride with me at home so we can get over it there first.
Tanta - that's really interesting that your horse has the same worries, but I really hope I don't have another 3 years of it!! (My chap's only 5!) I'm going to try and get him used to it at home and at clinics and gradually work our way up to it at shows. And in the meantime, I'll try and find the bit of grass or anything I can away from everyone else...