Help settle a debate: haynets!

NZJenny

Visit site
I tie mine to something solid as the last thing I want is them coming off. However, I tie them high quite high.

Bernster

Visit site
In typical HHO style, I will give you an answer you weren't looking for. I don't use haynets, always put hay on the floor. Better for their backs.

ETA for travelling, tie straight to the ring.

fiwen30

Visit site
I use a doubled up haynet, as my mare is a fatty. I hang it straight off the ring, at above my head height (around 5'7 at a guess), as if I hung it on string it'd come down due to her jerking and tugging at it to gobble faster!

be positive

Visit site
I use a doubled up haynet, as my mare is a fatty. I hang it straight off the ring, at above my head height (around 5'7 at a guess), as if I hung it on string it'd come down due to her jerking and tugging at it to gobble faster!

That is not good for the horses back, especially if doubled up so more difficult to eat.

I tie mine, when I use them, low down directly to the ring, they are all small holed, only used for some horse to keep the hay from being spread about and they are tied as low as possible while still being off the floor, if the rope is tied to the net the thin net strings will break if they get caught, I recently had a horse get its rug caught on the net a quick tug and he freed himself without pulling the net down. Most of my horses are barefoot so no risk of a shoe getting caught if they decided to paw at the net.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
When I do use a net, I tie straight to a ring. However, if possible, I feed from the floor. I say 'if possible' because when a horse needs soaked hay I always net it in a trickle net, but don't hang too high as don't want them reaching up and yanking it. Bad for their necks and back. Also I have one horse who pulls his haylage all over his bed and then seems to 'knit' it into his bedding and poo. Then he drops weight because he's soiled it all. So he gets his in a hay rack.

fiwen30

Visit site
Unfortunately the ring is fixed to a solid concrete wall, so no way of moving it, and my mare needs her hay soaked or else she coughs. It's double netted to slow her down, or else she gorges on her straw bed which in turn also makes her cough!

Edit: whoops, was meant to reply to bepositive!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Do you tie your haynets up to string, or tie them straight onto ring/stable bars? And why?

Friend and I are debating which is safer

:)

I tie mine to the ring or to the hay rack not the string, as I have gone in on a few occasions and found horses with them on the floor and their legs caught in them.

Some have their hay loose in plasters baths
some in wide tub trug depends on the owner some use hayracks and some haynets

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
When I do use a net, I tie straight to a ring. However, if possible, I feed from the floor. I say 'if possible' because when a horse needs soaked hay I always net it in a trickle net, but don't hang too high as don't want them reaching up and yanking it. Bad for their necks and back. Also I have one horse who pulls his haylage all over his bed and then seems to 'knit' it into his bedding and poo. Then he drops weight because he's soiled it all. So he gets his in a hay rack.

Do you use the haylage hayracks???

http://www.robinsonsequestrian.com/l-w-haylage-wall-rack-zinc-plated.html
http://www.robinsonsequestrian.com/l-w-haylage-corner-rack-zinc-plated.html

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Unfortunately the ring is fixed to a solid concrete wall, so no way of moving it, and my mare needs her hay soaked or else she coughs. It's double netted to slow her down, or else she gorges on her straw bed which in turn also makes her cough!

Edit: whoops, was meant to reply to bepositive!

I use the haylage hayracks to slow my boy down listed in waggies post

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I tie mine, when I use them, low down directly to the ring, they are all small holed, only used for some horse to keep the hay from being spread about and they are tied as low as possible while still being off the floor, if the rope is tied to the net the thin net strings will break if they get caught, I recently had a horse get its rug caught on the net a quick tug and he freed himself without pulling the net down. Most of my horses are barefoot so no risk of a shoe getting caught if they decided to paw at the net.

Snap.

Mine are mostly trickle nets and a few very small holed nets. I often feed them as hay pillows (i.e. the net loose on the ground with the string tied up tight out of the way) but if tied it is at ground level and directly to the ring. Mine are both barefoot.

Equi

Visit site
I tie straight to the ring and its at like head height for the horse. I've watched them eat and they do graze the net rather than snatch and pull. Its very small holed nets specifically made for miniatures, and i love them. My horses now get the same amount of hay as always but it lasts them infinitely longer which is obviously better than gorging.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I hang mine on to the ring. I have small holed nets because Samuel is a pig and much as I'd prefer it to be on the floor he'd just gobble it too quickly. I've watched him and he crams as much in to his gob as he possibly can. I don't hang it overly high though. It was funny when I first got him small holed nets as he got quite cross at being unable to stuff his face as quickly as he'd been doing so previously. My previous horse used tear his haynets down and shred them in his efforts to eat his hay more quickly. Thankfully Samuel's better mannered than that LOL

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
We tie ours straight to the ring in stable & yard, tied to baling twine when travelling in lorry, as the lower ring is too low, and the top ring too high for most of ours.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Straight to the ring, wouldn't want it coming off. It is not tied to high, at about nose height when standing normally do they don't have to reach up, I only give they haynets if stabled overnight to save wastage but they are fed from the floor during the day

Tess Love

Visit site
I feed from the floor as it's better for her and she eats more slowly than from a small holed net. If a net is required then I tie it direct to a metal ring. You never said what your debate was?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Why spend an eternity trying to persuade the horse to work over his back and into a contact when you allow him 12 plus hours of feeding in the very position you are training him not to be in.

Just my useless thoughts. My youngsters are fed big bale in a barn. The only horse in work is a guts and is fed in a slowfeeding.com net which is a huge rectangular small holed net that is clipped onto a flat wall and hangs like a large pillow below the nose level. Unshod horse so safe and she is in the correct position. Hay racks are totally un-natural positioning for horses, seeds drop into their eyes and their noses do not drain.

Rivendell

Visit site
I think you have more than enough answers but thought I'd add my 2 cents!!!

Luckily where I live we don't stable our horses so they just get hay on the ground in the paddock. They are always supervised when using haynets (eg when in barn before grooming/work) and they are tied directly to the ring - my horses are all piggies and viciously attack the haynet to get as much as they can per bite ... They would easily break baling twine!

Moomin1

Visit site
I tie it straight to the ring, as my mare just snaps the twine otherwise and I think it's more dangerous. I don't tend to use haynets anymore though after one snapped at the point of tying/doubling back and she got both her front legs stuck together. :-(

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Mine are tied around the bars of the stable hung just below head height. I used to feed from the floor, but the little one just made such a mess dragging it round it was truly disgusting.