Help show in a week, pony still has winter coat!

shetlandponylover

Visit site
Hello everyone :)
I have entered into a fun local show a week on Sunday! Just a few in hand classes (m&m small breeds, young handler and miniatures/Shetlands)
My shetland mare still has a winter coat :( she has lost a lot of the long hair but her coat is still quite thick.
Would this be ok? I'm only going to the show to have fun and hopefully she behaves (her first show) but would still like her to look nice and not stick out to much bless her.
She has now started to moult badly so should I groom her like mad and try to get down to her summer coat before the show? I just don't want her to look even more scruffy than what she is lol any help would be great xxx

shetlandponylover

Visit site
This is her, she doesn't look as scruffy in person honest lol Of course she will be bathed etc so hopefully I can get her white :-D lol
D15E4C8A-1A3D-463D-8367-8614EF12B398-13162-00000E8C424F76E0_zps4360847f.jpg

Xxx

mandwhy

Visit site
There will probably be some others in full winter coat, my sec A has not lost any, but my haffy has nearly lost all of hers!

I would probably give her a bath to get as much loose hair off as you can as moulting looks a bit untidy, and if there are still any long 'beard' hairs etc they may need a bit of a gentle trim :)

snooples

Visit site
My horse is still in his full winter coat too so Im sure there will be plenty more in the same boat.
Today I saw about 10 crows sitting on one fo the horses with a very hairy coat pullling the hair right off her for their nests so maybe go locate a few crows :p

yeeharider

Visit site
I judge natives and M&M and at this time of year you make allowances for coats it has been particullarly wet and miserable this year, so many natives will be holding on to their coats for a while longer I would not worry too much so long as she is clean and well presented you should be fine :D:D

Suzie G

Visit site
It's something you can't control, as much as you can groom it, if they hold onto it there's nothing you can do. A big wash and good groom so she's sparkly will do.:D

Mrs C

Visit site
Aw what a babe!! Looking less hairy that my shetty so sure majority will be in the same boat. Have fun x

maisie06

Visit site
If the judges can't see past the winter coat after a long, wet, cold winter that ran on late they are not fit to be judging and I wouldn't take any notice of their opinion, just go along and have a fun day out for the experience!

rowan666

Visit site
We are in the same boat with our little welshie, I wouldnt worry im sure almost everyone with native types will be in the same boat, I think they look cuter in their winter woolies anyway, the mark of a true m&m type! :D

shetlandponylover

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies :) you've all made me feel a bit better now! I just didn't want to be the odd one out with honey having a winter coat still lol
She is going to have a good bath the day before so hopefully she will look so white and bright you will need sunglasses to see her :p xxx

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
mine is gross- like a yak- no a moulting yak! If my horse having had a nice winter off, in a field, and having a thick coat to keep warm means losing a rosette,then so be it!

Amy567

Visit site
My TB has most of her winter coat, all apart from half her face. My Shetlands have all of theirs, though one has sweet itch so has rubbed a load of fur off and my other TB has all of his, apart from where he's been clipped. I'm sure pretty much everyone still has a lot of winter coat, especially with how cold it's been

Mariposa

Visit site
I am taking my old boy to Windsor so its a race to get his summer coat through - we've been rugging him up very cosily and his coat is finally coming through...albeit in patches! I've found just rubbing him with wet hands is the best for getting his coat out, and he loves having a good massage!

zoelouisem

Visit site
I'm not sure if she's rugged but get her out in the sunshine without a rug the sun on her back and rolling will really help with the coat.
And as somebody suggested get a furninator they are amazing much better than a shedding blade. You can pick brand new ones up on eBay for alot cheaper, do that after the suns been on her all day and she will loose loads. They give a lovely shine to there coats too even greys!!

Alex Keightley

New User
Visit site
You should be fine they are supposed to do well in winter and its just evidence it does :p though a metal curry comb like this http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/P/Reversible_Metal_Curry_Comb-(253).aspx Can work wonders. I know these are supposed to be safe to use on horses but id say be very careful just though they work wonders, and if you don't fancy that a good scrub with a plastic curry comb will raise all the hairs that have came out and are just sitting. The furinator looks great to.