Help staffy pup chewing anything

meandmrblue

Visit site
My staffy pup is constantly wanting to chew,she came with squeaky toys which I don't like.have bought her the strong plastic keys from pets at home and a few others the keys don't look like they will last long,hubby said she shouldn't be chewing plastic,what else can I give her to help her through the chewing stage which is safe? Have tried to put picture on my other post of her with no success. Thanks

ludlow

Visit site
The plastic looking puppy nylabones work well for chewy pups...esp the bacon flavour ones. Helped no end with our labs as pups. Gave them something to focus on and tasty too. Also, puppy kong toys with the paste and biscuits work well for little mouths. Distracts them for quite a while...even longer if you load up a kong and freeze it if you're going out. Good luck!

Kaylum

Visit site
The plastic looking puppy nylabones work well for chewy pups...esp the bacon flavour ones. Helped no end with our labs as pups. Gave them something to focus on and tasty too. Also, puppy kong toys with the paste and biscuits work well for little mouths. Distracts them for quite a while...even longer if you load up a kong and freeze it if you're going out. Good luck!

This exactly x

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Get a book called The Culture Clash by Jane Donaldson which has a really good section about chewing. Don't leave anything within her reach. My friend's bitch ate her Jimmy Choos but she blames herself for leaving them on the floor!

My 2.5yo dog still has a dental Nylabone that he has had since a puppy and he has mega strong jaws.
Stag Bars or those Cerea vegetable chews are quite good for confirmed chewers. Don't just leave her with a new toy and expect her to know what to do, engage her with it and don't always expect her to self-entertain.
Frozen carrots and Kongs, as mentioned, are also good boredom busters.

Things which are stuffed and textured (furniture etc!!) are very desirable to dogs so when you cannot supervise her make sure she is contained in an area where she cannot chew things you do not want her to.

CAYLA

Visit site
Just tell her to get in her bed and she will stay there and not chew;)

More sensibly as suggested, kongs, swap and change, use lovely recipes, gnaw bones, large pigs ears.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I think your pup would benefit from a crate, they are not the prison others would have you believe.

PM Cayla and ask for her puppy and crate guide, when we got our pup we had one of Caylas guides and it stopped all un-necessary chewing and made house training an absolute doddle.

I always think another benefit of crate training is using it for travelling which cuts down the stress and also if you dog has to be hospitalised for any reason it dosnt become quite so stressful.

I think all the chews people have suggested are all an excellent idea and something we used when our pup was confined to her crate.

We also need to see a photo of your pup.

satinbaze

Visit site
Provide chew toys in a certain place only ( crate is ideal) that way puppy learns only to chew in that place. Once she has walked away from the chew pick it up. If you leave if lying around and she can chew at anytime then she will think she can chew any time any place any where and any thing. Dogs do not know the difference between a nylabone and the TV remote!
If you want to leave her with a chew such as a food filled kong whilst you go out then she must be contained some where again such as a crate.
Hope this helps

meandmrblue

Visit site
I put her in a crate at night and during the day and if I need to go out and she has access to the garden as I leave the door open most of the time she always comes back in with something she finds in the garden I seem to be always taking things of her which she shouldn't have.

CAYLA

Visit site
Typical puppy, I would try and fill the garden with goodies you would like her to have, hide stuff for her to find, a number of kongs is good for this so you can hide them and get her to find them, divert her attention from the stuff your don't want her to have, staffs also tend to have a fascination with large footballs.