HELP, Stifle problems advice/reassurance needed

Spendtoomuch

Visit site
Please put my mind at rest!!
***I am calling the vet first thing tomorrow to book an appointment***
Long story - will cut as short as poss!
When I first got my horse he got diagnosed with a locking stifle put as vet said put some weight and muscle on him and it should go, it did!
Fast forward over 2 years and he has started to get tight in his back end, very stiff and unlevel on both back legs. He had chiro four weeks ago so I booked again for tonight. He is tight through all his back and shoulders, he also has a lump at the top of the rib cage under the longus (?) muscle.
Anyway chiro thinks the tightness through his back/shoulders/neck is secondary to something else - she thinks stifle on both sides
He often stands funny behind like he is tightrope walking and drags his toes (this has also got worse recently).

I tried to get vets tonight but they had closed by the time chiro left, so will ring them first thing and make an appointment but need some peace of mind now.

Please share your stifle experiences with me and please give me some reassurance as at the moment I am panicking and very worried about my boy

5bs

Visit site
What at first appeared to be stifle on my boy, ended up being sacroiliac, he was toe dragging, standing funny behind etc. He went off to Cambridge, he has started his rehab programme, and only time will tell, if you need a chiro regularly, it is generally because there is something else going on.

My boy is only six, and the vets said it is an old trauma injury, that he would have done as a youngster over in Ireland before I bought him. Five stage vetting, started going wrong two weeks after owning him, havnt owned him a year yet.

You are doing the right thing, I find it's easier deal with whatever the problem is, than to bury your head in the sand and carry on.

Spendtoomuch

Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify he only normally has the chiro every six months or so for check up, his last check up was four weeks ago, the appointment yesterday was because he was uncomfortable, and I thought it might be his back as both back legs.
The vet is coming thurs to xray and scan both stifles.
Really need to hear positive outcomes as so worried and scared I will never be able to ride him again let alone compete :( we wete supposed to make our elementary debut last weekend, which we obv didn't :(

TwoStroke

Visit site
Does he have long toes/low heels on his hind feet? Any chance of ground level, side on photos of hinds?

I have recently discovered that long toes/ low heels can alter the angle at which the stifle sits, causing the ligaments over the patella to slacken. It can cause soreness in the hind quarters as well as the stifle area.

TrasaM

Visit site
My (well ours really as I share him) is very much like your's OP. Friend bought him 13 months ago and stifle problem became evident a few months later. He was lunged and trotted uphill as part of his building up and by June he was fine. I was riding him a lot about then as he was also inclined to play up and buck with my friend. I noticed him feeling a bit strange behind in trot in January and this was soon followed by a massive locking up and very very stiff and sore. I ride him a couple of times after this ( vets advice) but he felt all wrong and i believed was in pain across the SI area. I got the back lady to check him and she found lots of stiff areas from his neck to his SI.
So..now five weeks on and not much better and still not fit to ride. It's not been possible to lunge him but we've walked him a few times in hand. Chiro looked at him again last week but not sure if what she's doing is helping much.
Next step will be vets again but we need to get them to not get distracted by the stifle issues and look higher up. We don't know what's triggered it off again..muddy field, slipping or just him messing about. :confused:
He is barefoot and has good hooves.
Sorry I can't be much help. We are really worried too. It's my friend's first horse and she's really upset as it was going so nicely and then this. :(

Edit to add. Like previous poster..He would frequently trip with his back left on uneven ground and I watched him walk yesterday and he's dragging it a bit too.

Last edited:

Ginger Bear

Visit site
Ours had locking stifles, she's an ex racer.. Vet sad hard work uphill or in sand, made her worse & she began toe dragging especially on the lunge. Took her t an osteopath, it was secondary to a depressed sacrum (part of the spine that had sunk) & kissing spine she has to be seen every 6 months but it keeps her back moving ad then her stifles don't stick anymore.

TrasaM

Visit site
Had an update from friend today. Vet did a full check up and vetting and said that he does not think he's in pain or that there is anything wrong with the back. Actually said hes a rather good specimen of a cob. :D
He advised that his back feet need to be trimmed short at the toe as their current shape may be putting his leg out a bit. He phoned the farrier and explained what needed doing so we are going to give it a try. Also to get on and work him as much as possible and also ride him. That should be interesting as he's rather full of himself at the moment. :eek: Think I've drawn the short straw for the test ride. Ho hum ....
Hope this gives you some hope.. Let me know how you get on with your's :)

Spendtoomuch

Visit site
Thanks everyone, trasam that's brilliant news about yours! Good luck with the rehab.
Vet is coming in the morning so will know more then, he is not a happy horse at the moment :( keeping my fingers crossed.

Spendtoomuch

Visit site
Quick update...vet came out today, he was sore in front today as well! Vet said he back feet are sore, nerve blocked him, took xrays off feet, back, hocks, and stifles, nothing showed up! Vertebrae are close but not kissing spine! Has tested him for cushings, next step have back shoes put on and then vet out again! So nothing conclusive vet thinks more than sore feet but wants to eliminate that first then can see what's going on! Still v. Worried!

TrasaM

Visit site
Sorry to hear you've not had the reassurance you needed. Fingers crossed it won't be anything too serious. Just back from a groundwork in hand and grooming session with my boy. He was in a good mood and I gave him a good massage as well. Now got very tired arms :)
Try not to worry.

Spendtoomuch

Visit site
Thanks trasam and racebuddy, just want to know what's wrong with him now, but at least we have ruled a lot out now.
Trasam your sounds like he is going well, good luck with him.