help - strange bony lump on forehead any ideas?

derynw

Visit site
our 12 year old gelding seems to be developing a bony lump on his forehead between his eyes just slightly off centre. There is no soreness and as far as we are aware there has been no trauma to the area.

Has anyone come across this sort of thing before or any idea what might be causing it before I call for medical advice and get labelled as another neurotic female horse owner. There are no other symtoms - no nasal discharge, head shaking or behaviour changes. Just this odd bony lump about 1 cm in diameter.

Any ideas anyone?

foxy1

Visit site
Could be a sinus infection/abscess or could be a simple bang.

The horses' skull is made up of flat bones in different sections so where you describe could be a 'join' between the bones and the 'edge' of the bone can become inflamed with a bang.

Keep a look out for eye/nasal discharge and changes to the size of the lump. If there is any discharge/soreness or the lump gets any bigger call the vet.

derynw

Visit site
thanks foxy - there is no disharge at present and the lump hasn't changes shape for a few weeks. I will keep monitoring it and watch out for any changes. Knowing how generally clumsy he can be at times it probably is a knock that we hadn't noticed because there was no skin damage.

neddynesbitt

Visit site
My horse had the same but we were fortunate (in a funny sort of way :) ) we saw him get kicked whilst playing with his roudy mate in the field. It sort of looked like a splint on his head and took some while to go down but it has completely disappeared now. I honestly thought he would have it for life as it felt so hard. He looks completely normal now :) xx

irish_only

Somewhere snowy in winter, lovely in summer
Visit site
If it is looking slightly like a horn and is off centre, it could be a 'splint' where the skulll knitted together from when he was a baby, and he has knocked it. I have a 2yo who developed two of these, symetrical and are above his eyes but slightly nearer the centre of his head.
Does that make sense?

derynw

Visit site
Yeah thanks that does a bit - he does seem to knock his head on a regular basis I think because he likes to play and also show off to the mares in the next paddock. So that could be the answer. It always amazes me how clumsy he can be in some ways and yet he is so careful show jumping trying his best to not touch a pole. some would say a typical ginger thoroughbred

vroutledge

Visit site
Hi, my old horse developed one of those, i was told that the plates in horses heads can sometimes move and the lump is caused when they slightly overlap one another.

Marydoll

Visit site
My horse had 3 areas like this when i bought her, the vet cert stated exostisis of her forehead, it dissappeared after a couple of months and never came back

sarahann1

Visit site
Hi, my old horse developed one of those, i was told that the plates in horses heads can sometimes move and the lump is caused when they slightly overlap one another.

Yep, my old horse has developed two lumps on his forhead in line with his eyes, when I asked my vet about it he gave me this reason and said not to worry.

Event rider

Visit site
My eventer had one,about the same age, just off centre. Disappeared after a few months,no other symptoms.Thought he'd knocked himself but hes quite careful....unfortunetly didnt knock any sense into him :)!!

Britestar

Visit site
I would 2nd the possibilty of a sinus problem. My horse had a major prob with a tooth abcess, and had a big lump on his head, though tbh I never really noticed how big it had become it until it went down after his op.

derynw

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the replies - the lump does not seem to be getting any bigger and there is no discharge or other symptoms, In fact it may be getting smaller but maybe I am just used to it now.
No noises or performance problems so think wioll leave well alone for now and keep watching brief.

Sasha w

New User
Visit site
My horse has a bump on forehead as well, I was looking it up when it brought me here. He has had it for two months now. It hasn't changed at all, doesn't get bigger and doesn't get smaller. He doesn't seem to be in pain, has no problem with me touching it. I'm still really worried and can not afford a vet bill at the moment due to having had back surgery and just getting back to work.

pastit

Visit site
My 15 yr old has one of these. Fairly small, it came up over a year ago and is still much the same. I was unconcerned as he is really rough with himself and a bit clumsy, so I thought he'd banged his head. It never bothered him. Didn't know about the plates though..

kush

New User
Visit site
@Irish-Only , I know it's been a few years since this thread but I'm interested to know how your horse went with the bilateral "horns" I have a 5 month old Australian Stock horse colt that has developed hard "horns" that sounds like yours. They are not painful, just seem like hard Boney lumps.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
My horse had facial suturitis noted on the vetting where the bone plates meet. More common in young horses where they're still growing He was 5 and it was expected to settle as he matured. You can't see them it at all now.