Help Suitable feeds for allergy thoroughbred

annar

Visit site
Hi can anyone help. I’ve phoned around many feed companies and they all seem to be at a loss. My thoroughbred has been suffering from ulcers, headahaking and diarrhoea, spooking. Even after learning ulcers the behaviour didn’t change so he was cut scanned and showed sinusitis. His has been treated and stopped. Sadly he’s still been spooky and loose poo do I finally got hers to allergy test him. He came back allergic to rye, wheat, linseed (flax) and alfalfa. His diet is currently thunderbrook but all their feeds contain linseed. He’s off the rye now as I’ve moved yards to my own place and it’s more meadow grass and it’s made a huge difference and he now has solid poo. I just need to sort his feed now. He’s quite a good doer but will drop in winter x

ihatework

Visit site
I’d say keep it simple. You don’t need to give hard feed.
See how you go on ad lib meadow grass/hay/haylage.
If you need to add calories over the winter then speedibeet, grass nuts, rice bran pellets, copra meal or even oats

be positive

Visit site
As above keep to the basics and you should be fine, the tb here did really well over winter with adlib haylage that was a meadow grass mix and soaked grassnuts, I did give some linseed but you could give oil in a different form if you need a few extra calories, the main thing is to try and ensure he goes into winter looking as well as possible and that you give ad lib forage at all times.

annar

Visit site
Thanks. I need to feed twice a day due to medication for his allergies so maybe grass nuts? X

be positive

Visit site
Thanks. I need to feed twice a day due to medication for his allergies so maybe grass nuts? X

I use grass nuts to feed mine and to hide meds and apart from the odd very fussy one most love them whatever is added, certainly worth a try, you can give them as a grass replacer so they are perfect for winter when you can leave a fairly big tub in overnight and they pick through much as they do hay.

fairhill

Visit site
Simple systems do grass nuts and Timothy chop if you need to bulk your feed up a bit. Grass nuts on their own are quite sloppy!
They also do grass blocks that I use in winter for my allergy prone horse to supplement her hay.