Help - Swollen Throat

kingzeus

Visit site
Hello all,

just wanted some advise or thoughts on what could be wrong with my gelding before i land myself with an emergency call out vet bill! I noticed a couple of days ago that the top of his throat where his glands are is swollen. I left it for a day to see if it would go down but today it seems slightly more swollen. It does not seem to bother him at all he is eating and drinking as per normal, breathing is no different, very alert and seems happy, full of beans, doesnt seem to have a temperature, no cough or runny nose. I have had another experienced person up at my yard have a look at him and she thinks its just a virus as other than this he is sound. I havent changed anything in his feed or anything, on looking on line some sites say that he could be difficient in certain things?? Should i leave it for a couple more days to see if it clears or should i get the vet out??:confused:

Sorry i posted this in new lounge as well

MiCsarah

Visit site
Could be swollen salivary glands. We have had rain and sun so grass will have grown. My boy has them all of the time when we have the slightest of a flush, also if he eats the hedges. If he's stabled over night they normally go down by the morning. Try bringing in for te night with a haynet and see if they are down by the morning

oscarwild

Visit site
I went to feed my horse a few weeks ago and she had a swollen throat and I took her in and phoned the vet as it was massive. She was put on danilon and boxrest for a few days and it went down. Once better she was turned back out into the same field and it returned. So it looks like she had a reaction to something in the field so she has stayed up at yard since. Been in other fields and swelling comes back but nothing like it has been so obviously there not as much of whatever it is in the other field. I got the vet to take bloods and a allergy test and we are currently going through the process of getting somethings sorted. We have no idea if these are all connected or not. So will just keep an eye on things.

Here is a pic of her glands when they were at there worst

Photo0228.jpg

Personally I'd phone the vet and ask for advice from them and see what they say.
I know of horses who have had swellings in this area and over time they have abscessed so would be worth contacting the vet for piece of mind. And i would also take him off the grass and see what happens if you can.