Help /Tips wanted - lunge / groundwork exercises

Hollyanna

Visit site
So, bit of background - my horse has undergone treatment for ulcers. As a result of ulcers she was unable to lift through the back and has lost top line and has poor tummy tone (as it hurt to engage tummy and lift). She had some time off work (over six months). She was recently brought back into work and has recently had physio treatment. Physio identified very tight (in spasm) muscles Behind the saddle and poor tummy tone, in hindsight this was evident before ulcer treatment when she was in full work. Physio has advised me to do lots of groundwork and encourage her to stretch, activate her tummy muscles and lift over the back - using pole work etc.

So walk and trot are going brill, she has super hind leg and really pleased with how this is going. However, I am struggling with the canter! She has a super active hind leg in trot, however in the canter She tends to canter with a straight hind leg which causes her to become croup high and fall on her nose causing the canter to become fast and unbalanced (no wonder she doesn’t want to stretch!!). She is actually built uphill when you see her confirmation but does have a low set on neck and short back. Does anyone have any exercises that might help the canter? I am lunging on two long lines at the moment (bungies and side reins don’t feel right for her in canter) as I feel like I can half halt and allow her neck out as and when I feel she can, but totally open to other suggestions - pole exercises etc.

many thanks!!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My horse had a weak core some years back and the physio told me to do pole work and lots of carrot stretches and belly lift exercises with him it took a while but it did help, you might find as she gets stronger the canter will improve but it might be worth asking your physio for exercises to do for now.