Help to put weight on my 5 year old staillion

Jestersmum

New User
Visit site
I have a 5 year old staillion that I rescued about 2 years ago I moved yards last year I've noticed he's lost a bit of weight this winter which he hadn't before we moved yards I have limited turnout he's on 2 feeds a day with chop mix sugar beet and ready grass he gets 2 big nets of good quality hay a day is there any other feed I can give to help weight gain please

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Have a hunt round using the search function and you will find several old threads that might give you a few ideas. My personal favourite is boiled barley (if you have a spare slow cooker).

windand rain

Visit site
He needs as much hay as he can eat and high calorie oil based food. So add micronised linseed, copra or sunflower oil so you increase the oil part but not the starch and sugar. Keep everything as low in sugar and starch as possible and introduce the new food very slowly

Leo Walker

Visit site
Rice bran oil pellets are magic for putting weight on. A very small amount makes a big difference so if hes normally ok on his usual food I would top dress with the rice bran as and when you need it.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Rapeseed oil £1 a litre in Tesco, is added to a lot of horse feeds these days (it's in the Pegasus you already feed). I slug 400ml in my TB's feed each day. Try 200ml maybe, increasing from 50ml over a week or so.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I have a 5 year old staillion that I rescued about 2 years ago I moved yards last year I've noticed he's lost a bit of weight this winter which he hadn't before we moved yards I have limited turnout he's on 2 feeds a day with chop mix sugar beet and ready grass he gets 2 big nets of good quality hay a day is there any other feed I can give to help weight gain please

Is he being teased or is he closer to mares than he is used too? My old lad would stress weight in a matter of days if he was in smelling distance of new mares for and length of time - ie stabled next to or turned out to close too.
I moved yards and my lad dropped all his weight really quickly - found out he was being used as a teaser by the YO as he was smaller than hers she thought it was better to use him as he was less likely to come over the stable door (that was her excuse). He was moved off there within a week.

NOISYGIRL2

Visit site
My preference would be micronized linseed or linseed pellets. You could try alfa a oil if he's ok with alfa some aren't. Fibrebeet is conditioning or increased levels of speedibeet both low sugar/starch or solution mash

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
One of my stallions was a nightmare to keep weight on at this time of year. as soon as there was any thought of spring he thought about mares rather than eating. Are you using him for breeding or showing? If not , if you get him cut then he'll very likely keep weight on better.