Help! Ulcers won't go away!

Tamski

Visit site
So after four months of peptizole and Rite Track my boys ulcers are as bad as ever. We have spent our insurance money so now looking for alternatives.

I'm going to try him on Gastro Plus from Equine Science but also looking at any other treatments that may help him as I can't bear the thought of him having a sore tummy forever.

So has anyone had success with any other treatments??

Visit site
The only thing that we have found that works is a full course of Gastro Guard followed up with constant forage or turnout. Some we keep on a low dose of GG indefinitely.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I followed a tip on here to feed Aloe Vera juice because I suspected that my mare had ulcers. I didn't have her scoped but she did have symptoms and I knew that she had been fed a high sugar/ high cereal diet before I got her. She is much improved but if I've run out for more than 24 hrs, we all, including the other horses, know about it.

If you PM Martlin on here, I think she sells it and will give further info.

fusspot

Visit site
My boy did the GG route,was scoped clear,put on a supplement that over time stopped working so put him on Gastroplus,my horse back after 10 days,finished Gastroplus and now on there Stomach Maintenance with Calmer,has never looked back and working fantastically.Highly recommend.

Tamski

Visit site
Thanks all. Peptizole is Gastroguard but a different name so we've done the standard treatment but it clears them initially then as soon as the dose is reduced they return so he obviously needs something else. We've also done a course of anti bs to cover off any infection. He has access to forage permanently and never appears stressed.

Just driving me slightly potty!

Good to hear that the Gastro plus has worked for you Fusspot and will keep Aloe Vera juice as a follow up.

Any other ideas??

JillA

Visit site
Lots of alternatives on here http://equinenutritionnerd.com/2014...tions-for-stomach-ulcer-treatment-prevention/

Something to reduce acidity (low sugar/starch diet and bicarbonate of soda)
Something to line the gut (slippery elm or coconut oil)
A probiotic to aid efficient digestion
Something to aid healing (aloe vera)
And for maintenance, never ever have a digestive system with no food in it, so low stress and constant access to grass or forage.

leggs

Visit site
the only thing that cures ulcers is omeprazol, coated so that the ph of the horse's stomach doesn't immediately kill the omeprazol. The expensive option is GG.
But, fortunately there is also the abler products www.abler.com I have used the abprozole (same thing as GG but in pellets in stead of paste) with great success

Tamski

Visit site
That's the thing though. We've done £5000 of omeprazole (peptizole) and he's still got grade 3 ulcers. It clears them initially but as soon as the dose is fractionally reduced they return.

Starting on Gastro Plus ASAP and will cross everything that it works. Just looking for anyone else whose horse hasn't responded to omeprazole?

leggs

Visit site
That's the thing though. We've done £5000 of omeprazole (peptizole) and he's still got grade 3 ulcers. It clears them initially but as soon as the dose is fractionally reduced they return.

Starting on Gastro Plus ASAP and will cross everything that it works. Just looking for anyone else whose horse hasn't responded to omeprazole?

then maybe your horse, like mine, has so much damage that they can't do without a daily preventive dose. The ulcers in my horse were induced by medicine.

I spent a fortune on supplements on the preventive side, but none of them worked, she really needed the omeprazole unfortunately.

At one point when I had too much time over at work I made a spreadsheet of all welknown supplements and compared the ingredients. The manufactureres make it sound really good by using latin names for weeds that are found in every field ! add some sodium bicarbonate and cash the money!

maggiesmum

Visit site
Could there be something else going on? My geldings ulcers rumbled on for some time and it turned out he'd got kissing spines so I think that constant low level pain was enough to stop them from healing properly despite treatment.

glinda

Visit site
My pony has to live on Omeprazole daily…. If I stop her ulcers return usually within a week. ( oh and she does have a lot of muscular skeletal issues too so could be similar to what maggiesmum has mentioned above)

A lot of my friends have had really good results with a product called Coligone though…. its not too expensive.

I have been using it in my stressy horse to see if it helps her as I think she probably has ulcers too

leanneq

Visit site
I have an new box of peptizole (same as gastrogaurd) and a syringe of gastrogaurd, if this would be of help to anyone using daily as a preventative dose and insurance has run out to cover the costs!!

I no longer have the pony, so this is going to waste - PM me for more info if anyone is interested. Also have a tub of feedmark settlex, which I found worked really well for my pony with ulcers.