Help! Very exciteable TB

RocknRoller

Visit site
My TB has been on box rest for about 10 weeks due to a ligament injury. I am now doing 30 minute ridden walk work a day but he is so exciteable! He is clearly feeling very well which is great but I am finding it hard to keep him contained! Does anybody have any exercises and different things to keep him focused in the school?

RocknRoller

Visit site
He is just having a small scoop of calm and condition and a handful of chaff. Just a haynet of haylage morning and night. He has put on quite a lot of weight when he was on box rest so I think he is just feeling rather well. He is now turned out every day and actually quite quiet in field

redriverrock

Visit site
I think your just going to have to get through it the best you can...would have a look at what feeds he is on and cut out anything which isnt absolutely essential but it is pretty obvious after 10 weeks box rest he is going to be abit excited...the fact he is a tb is probably irelevant, my haffie would be alot worse than my tb after such a long confinement!

redriverrock

Visit site
He is just having a small scoop of calm and condition and a handful of chaff. Just a haynet of haylage morning and night. He has put on quite a lot of weight when he was on box rest so I think he is just feeling rather well. He is now turned out every day and actually quite quiet in field
Just to add I would change the calm and condition to a simple high fibre with maybe a bit of beet, cant see why you would be adding more condition and it wont calm him down!

shmoo

Visit site
Hi, I was feeding C&C to my TB, then realised after a month or so off it she was actually calmer. Might be that, check out the other threads on here relating to it, alot seem to have had the same problem. Good luck hope he's fighting fit soon. ;)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If he's fat, stop feeding him.

Turn him out prior to riding. And then think about hacking out rather than working in the school.

ilvpippa

Visit site
Mine was on box rest for ages! I fe fast fibre instead of a conditioning feed purely cause she was on box rest (she was opposite to yours and dropped all weight/muscle) i can now do half an hour with trot & a teeny canter and she still is feeling far too wel! And is on no energy feed at all!
It's a case of riding it out with the fiesty TBs im afraid

SillyMare

Visit site
Are you allowed to turn him out yet or is it just 30 mins walking as a form of controlled exercise? Maybe speak to your vet and see if turnout in a small paddock or pen would provide an alternative.

Would long reining (if you have somewhere safe to go) be better or worse? Not worth the risk if he isn't established /obedient and might get away from you.

Other thing to think about would be side reins or a market harbrough to reduce your chances of getting dropped off. Assume you have a good neck strap too.

Billabongchick

Visit site
Someone I know has a very hyper warmblood who was off work/box rested for months because of a bone chip removal operation. As he kept putting himself back recovery wise by hooning about on turnout and was explosively excited going out on what was meant to be walk hacks the vet gave her some mild sedatives for a week or two so she could take him out safely without injury to either of them and get him back in a routine again.

Kellygirl

New User
Visit site
We also have a horse that gets very excitable when kept stabled. I find 20 min lunging before riding usually get the fizz out of him.

I'm also looking for some advice! I have a 16hh rescue horse which I've had now 5 years. He's about 16 years old although hard to be accurate. He is a calm beautiful horse but lately he has been suffering from what I can only describe as epiletic type seizures. He starts to shake, his eyes roll and then he thrashes around. He is completely out of it. When it passes he looks around wondering what has just happened, drinks some water and is immediately back to himself. He had 2 very bad episodes over St Patricks weekend when he crashed through the metal stable door leaving it on the far side of the yard. Although he had some nasty cuts he was fine. He hadn't had one for over 6 months. I've had every test done possible- bloods, eyes, ears. I've had his back and neck checked. I would love to know if anyone has any suggestions. My vet says horses don't get epilepsy but what I am describing certainly sounds like the disease.