Help! What do I owe as final livery payment?

Chianti

Visit site
I've just given my yard owner notice that I will be leaving. This was on the 21st April. My livery is due on the 25th April. I can't work out how many days I can deduct from my final payment as obviously I'll be gone before the 25th May. I know I can deduct for the 24th, 23rd, but can I for the 21st or even the 20th?

Fred66

Visit site
If you have given a months notice on the 21st then you pay to the 20th as that is 1 full month.

Calculation would be 12 x monthly fee divided by 365 x 26 (25th April to 20th May inclusive)

However unless you are short on money or your livery is pricey then I personally would pay the full month to avoid any ill feelings through my notice period.

Auslander

Visit site
My livery contracts state that the notice period is from the 1st of the month, but it is at the owners discretion whether they want to leave earlier than the 1st of the next month. It's not usually possible to fill an empty stable part way through a month, and I still have to pay my yard rent/bills.
It cuts both ways, as I also have to give clients a months notice from the 1st of the month if I want them gone!

Roxylola

Visit site
I'd suggest you ask your yard owner what your final payment should be. Either they've told you it's a full month and you don't agree or you've not asked.
I think if you want to leave on good terms you need to speak to them rather than adjust a payment to what you think it should be and expect that to be ok

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you have given a months notice on the 21st then you pay to the 20th as that is 1 full month.

A month's notice given at midday on the 21st ends a minute before midday on the 21st of the next month.

Surbie

Visit site
Personally I'd pay the full month and if I leave earlier that's my choice but I wouldn't expect a rebate. My notice period is a month I assume (no contract here either), but needs to be a full billing period. But surely this is a conversation to have with your YM?

ycbm

Visit site
I've given notice 4 times in the last 18 months to 3 different yards and never been asked to pay more than one month notice to the calendar day of the day I handed in my notice. One of those yards had a day rate for the "odd" days, the other two just made a proportional reduction.

Fred66

Visit site
A month's notice given at midday on the 21st ends a minute before midday on the 21st of the next month.
Possibly but that brings you into partial day payments. Generally if you give notice on the 1st of the month you are out of contract on the 1st of the following month.

ycbm

Visit site
Possibly but that brings you into partial day payments. Generally if you give notice on the 1st of the month you are out of contract on the 1st of the following month.

If you hand your notice in on the 21st of the month at midday, for a calendar month, then you expect the stable to be available for the night of the 20th and move out on the morning of the 21st. Think of it as paying for a calendar month of days that start at midday and end at midday, or as paying for nights in a hotel.

In your 1st of the month example, I guess most livery owners wouldn't argue about being given notice early on the 1st, but in fact if you want to leave on the last day of the month you should have given notice on the last day of the month.

Chianti

Visit site
Thanks all. I have deducted the three days as I'm actually leaving on the 18th so I feel that balances things out.

Fred66

Visit site
If you hand your notice in on the 21st of the month at midday, for a calendar month, then you expect the stable to be available for the night of the 20th and move out on the morning of the 21st. Think of it as paying for a calendar month of days that start at midday and end at midday, or as paying for nights in a hotel.

In your 1st of the month example, I guess most livery owners wouldn't argue about being given notice early on the 1st, but in fact if you want to leave on the last day of the month you should have given notice on the last day of the month.
Have to agree to disagree, the Government guidance is that it starts at the beginning of the day you hand it in (albeit this does relate to employment notice)

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
Have to agree to disagree, the Government guidance is that it starts at the beginning of the day you hand it in (albeit this does relate to employment notice)

You are talking about guidance for handing in notice of a job, where you would be working only part of the hours in the day. Livery is for 24 hours a day. Try telling a hotel you intend to sleep there for 30 nights and pay for 29!

Fred66

Visit site
You are talking about guidance for handing in notice of a job, where you would be working only part of the hours in the day. Livery is for 24 hours a day. Try telling a hotel you intend to sleep there for 30 nights and pay for 29!
If you hand your notice in on the 1st and it is for a month then you leave on 30th so you pay for 30 days and get 29 nights, so I’m sure they would be fine 😂

ycbm

Visit site
If you hand your notice in on the 1st and it is for a month then you leave on 30th so you pay for 30 days and get 29 nights, so I’m sure they would be fine 😂

That would mean you had left early. If you choose to do that, it's up to you. This is easier to understand, maybe, if you make it a date other than the 1st.

If you hand your notice in on the 10th at midday, a month runs out at a fraction of a second to midday on the 10th of the following month. If you pay to the 9th and leave on the 9th and the yard owner accepts that, fine, but they've actually diddled themselves out of one day's notice.

What a pointless flipping argument 🤣

Fred66

Visit site
That would mean you had left early. If you choose to do that, it's up to you. This is easier to understand, maybe, if you make it a date other than the 1st.

If you hand your notice in on the 10th at midday, a month runs out at a fraction of a second to midday on the 10th of the following month. If you pay to the 9th and leave on the 9th and the yard owner accepts that, fine, but they've actually diddled themselves out of one day's notice.

What a pointless flipping argument 🤣
Totally agree it’s pointless 😂, I &will go back to my “agree to disagree” as it is personal interpretation.

But (😁) if my tenants gave a months notice on 15th of the month I would expect them to be out on or before the 14th of the following month and the only guidelines I can find regarding notice (albeit for leaving employment) agree with my interpretation!!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
To be honest I'd pay the full rate, I wouldn't bother faffing about with reducing it by 3 days. But that's me, if you have tight finances do a reduction of the 3 days. Invariably your new yard will contact the old yard for references so you don't want any bad press.