Help - what on earth should I do??

tangoharvey

Visit site
Sold our dear family pony Harvey as outgrown by neice, now 19 - to what seemed a lovely home last December. Sold him for 500.00 inc. tack as I really wanted him to go to a good home and not just be a sellable asset. Here I am sat surfing the net - I like to see whats for sale and lo and behold here he is!
http://www.horsemart.co.uk/advert/9_yrs_13_0_hh_chestnut_new_forest_staffordshire/90386
The thought of him being sold on is awful, they said it was home for life. Shall I call them? I cant afford to buy him back at that price, but I would have him back for what I got - they didnt even call me, the last text I had was after he had played up a bit, they had teh dentist to him and said he was brill - a match made in heaven. Help!!!

Archiesmummy

Visit site
Well, if you don't try you will never know. Give them a call. They may have a totally genuine reason for the sale and if he is worth the money they are asking then fair enough to them, afterall he is theirs now.

I really hope the news is good and let us know how you get on x

kbsaff

Visit site
I'd give them a call and find out what the story is. They could've had a complete change in circumstance e.g. Job loss etc. and there really is a genuine reason for sale.

When you sold him, was he worth £1500? Did you just ask for £500 to secure a reasonable amount of commitment to him? If he is worth the £1500, then I'm afraid that the new owners are justified in selling him at what he's worth.
You could try calling and offering them what they paid for him. If the really are desperate to get rid, they might take you up on that. On the other hand, they could've bought him as a bargain with the full intention of selling him for profit.

It's a tough call, but I'd give them a ring. The worst they can say is no.

Good luck

russianhorse

Visit site
awww, how awful!

For me, I would call and see if I could buy him back if I could afford him - but then Im incredibly soft........

However Im sure there are others that would probably disagree

Walrus

Visit site
He sounds a nice chappy, I would think they could find him a nice home, the advert seems fairly genuine. If he had been sold with issues or if you had sold him as an aged companion that was then being buted up and sold as a showjumper or something then fair enough but hopefully he's not the type of horse that will get passed from piller to post as is the risk with some that are sold.

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do, if they are advertising him at £1500 I doubt they will take £500 for him and as you sold him you don't really have a claim to make.

Oldred

Visit site
If they are having trouble with him, quite likely they may accept a much lower offer. Put it to them that they are unlikely to get what they want IF there is a problem. Of course, they are entitled to sell him on at any stage for whatever they see fit.

Or you could ask what has gone wrong and offer to help them sort it out if you know and can manage the pony.

Good luck, hope you can help the pony if it looks as if things have gone wrong.

dwi

Visit site
A real shame but they are being honest enough in the ad. They may have had a genuine change in circumstances but feel embarrassed to let you know after they promised him a home for life.

Walrus

Visit site
Just had a better look at the advert and in the photos the girl riding him is quite big. Was he sold for a smaller person. Looking at the size of the person on him it's making me think maybe he was bought cheap to make a profit. Still, if he's as genuine as the advert says they should be able to find a nice small person for him, ponies like that are worth their weight in gold.

JenTaz

Visit site
i hate to say it but just because someone says they will give the pony a home for life does not mean that they will, circumstances can change and it has nothing to do with the previous owner when or who they sell on to.
i understand that your upset that after they said the were keeping him for life and they have decided to sell him on but unless you can offer them what they are after there's probably no chance of you gettting him back as he could go on to another little rider and have some fun

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Well, if you don't try you will never know. Give them a call. They may have a totally genuine reason for the sale and if he is worth the money they are asking then fair enough to them, afterall he is theirs now.

I really hope the news is good and let us know how you get on x

Totally second this. No harm in calling, see what they say etc

Kat

Visit site
Call offer £500 to have him back and see what they say. If they are genuine then they may well accept, if they are just out for a fast buck there is not much you can do.....

tangoharvey

Visit site
update on this - I was going to ring then realised the number was different. They have already sold him, and this lady is now also selling him., to make some dosh it would seem. I will never ever sell a horse again, permanent loan is clearly much safer, thanks for your advice, I will have to just forget and move on ....