HELP! what to do?!?!

showjump123

Visit site
I have had my horse for 2 and a bit years now! And in that time we have been through lots. First off all a tendons injury 6 months off. Then after that just got him up to canter and he got kicked in the field another 3 months box rest. Got about half a season out off him And it was amazing he jumps fantastically dressage is good and always in the ribbons showing. Then this year he banged his foot jumping and bruised his laminie that was about 2 months off this year. Then a minor problem last month that was only about a week off and now he has a massive back leg not severly lame but now on box rest ......again
Nearly going mad now with him! Don't know what to do, carry on and hope all these injurys are one offs! Or just turn him away and try getting another horse. I love competing him so much but it seems whenever he gets fit something new happens and I can't afford any more vet bills! What shall I do!!

smellsofhorse

Visit site
It sounds like just bad luck.
Another horse is a big responsiblity and will cost yet more money!

What about giving him a fee months of then bring him back to work slowly with no pressure.
While doing this you could maybe have a horse on short term loan or ride a horse on the owners behalf to satisfy your competing crave!

Littlelegs

Visit site
If you can afford it I'd say have two. But if you can't afford anymore vet bills for the one you've got then it wouldn't be sensible to take on another. Just keep your fingers crossed & keep an eye out for anyone local that might have one that needs riding.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Can you get one on loan,and give yours some time off?

Mind, I had one like that, kept getting injured, never anything REALLY serious, just meant time off. I would get him going again and then he would do something else. I managed to sell him in one of his sounds periods, and I heard later that he was just the same with his new owners .................

charlene88

Visit site
Sounds just like my horse. From experience take a few months give him summer break then start slowly back into it. Everytime i got him prepared to go out something came up so now there is no pressure i just want to have some fun and when the time is right we will get out again.

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
I know exactly how you feel!! I had exactly the same bad luck with my old mare.

I bought her in march in 2011! When I bought her she came home with severe boot sores. Then within 2-3 months, she went down with atleast 2 shoulder injuries. The she got kicked in the field, when fully recovered we went to a show and she gauged her eye in the horsebox- was unable to take part in the show, then she went down with another lameness issue, then went down with severe collic- had to go to the clinic, following on from the collic she developed an abscess, then she went down with severe lameness issues, a few months travelling to and from vets (mri scan, xray, ultrascans etc) we found out she had severe navicular and collateral ligament damage and nearly had to be PTS (was only about a month ago so fell around the date of our year anniversary :( she's now retired with my farrier/YM being a lawnmower.

Sorry for the essay but just to show you strings of bad luck happen to horse owners all the time. Annoying as it is, I always do believe things happen for a reason, maybe someone is trying to tell you to invest in another ned :D

showjump123

Visit site
Thanks least I know I'm not the only one! Really upsetingly I lost my best pony last year to epiloic foramen entrapment worse day off my life! She was the best pony I ever owned. I had her for 6 years And never had a lame day or an off day or ever had the vet (apart from routine vax and stuff) so since losing her all that we've had with my other horse is lameNess vets bills its never ending!

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
Thanks least I know I'm not the only one! Really upsetingly I lost my best pony last year to epiloic foramen entrapment worse day off my life! She was the best pony I ever owned. I had her for 6 years And never had a lame day or an off day or ever had the vet (apart from routine vax and stuff) so since losing her all that we've had with my other horse is lameNess vets bills its never ending!

Im sorry to hear that :( the mare I had before the one on my other post never had anything wrong with her health wise (although was mental) I rushed into buying her and for the 9 months I owned her was a nighmare! she broke my confidence, many nasty falls and tears, we just didnt click, for the 9months I owned her she never had a bump or scratch, then when I sold her and thought I found my soul mate, we were cursed with the opposite :rolleyes: