help !what to feed with copra

Archiepoo

Visit site
im trying copra next week but unsure if i need to feed something with it?, can anyone enlighten me as to what to do with it please and quantities to feed .horse is intolerant to linseed and alfalfa and wont eat chaff . was thinking either speedy beet or tiger oats for added fibre .

WelshD

Visit site
I've fed it with oats and a balancer before. i would be really cautious about putting an equine on it at this time of year though, it packed the weight on my two to the point they were taken off it mid winter - impressive absolutely and I would recommend it going in to winter but its easy to lose track of the weight going on and with the spring grass around the corner it could be a bit much

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I feed it with alfalfa pellets. You can feed it on its own but it's not that palatable. My cob eats 2kgs of each per day and is eventing fit. She has to have an ultra low sugar and starch diet and copra is just brilliant for her.

lurcherlu

Visit site
my hat rack appy x welsh kept the weight on on this and literally only a mug full twice a day in the end, her coat bloomed, energy rose right up and before this was on sugar beet, alfa a oil, linseed and barley and in huge quantities, this winter ad lib hay, lived out, lighter rugs and just this with half a scoop fast fibre and chaff and her nettex all purpose supplement, she wouldnt eat it at first but now when she ventures into the feed room she will go straight to it..... but i would be very cautious about feeding it now, the grass is just coming up to danger levels with sugar etc and most horses wont need any real feeds, i just feed a handful of chaff or fast fibre at this time of the year for her supps

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Copra and linseed are the things I always feed. At various times depending on work, what the horse likes and mineral profile of my forage I have added to it Alfalfa pellets, Oats, Sugarbeet, Bran, Straw chaff and currently combining it with Agrobs Musli

Sparkles

Visit site
I just use a general vit and mineral supplement along side it. I use it as a complete feed.

Archiepoo

Visit site
ok thanks everyone ,im feeding it with whole black oats ,hes eating the copra on its own he loves it!! dont have to worry about spring grass as hes on box rest (but needs calories due to losing a lot of weight ) hes sensitive to alfalfa, soya and linseed so cant feed any of those and he hates chaff! he also isnt very keen on haylage or hay so bit of a challenge! . so im feeding him speedybeet and readygrass soaked as a hay replacement .hes a very happy bunny!