Help! What to wear for my day as an equine veterinary nurse?

RubyFrench

Visit site
I have a trial tomorrow for a nurse position in an equine hospital,

Have been told to wear something very warm, decent boots and coat as you will be getting hands on. I'm stuck for ideas in what trousers to wear (eg close fit/jod type or ???) and wether to wear my long yard boots, short mucker boots or wellies?

Racergirl

Visit site
Well done! :D

Wear something relatively smart (so black jeans if youve got them, but definately dark trousers would be better) and washable (gos believe you me, theres as good a chance you WILL get covered in something not much fun and very fragrant as there is you wont...) and that you can bend over and dont mind crawling around in (you'd be amazed...)
As for your feet, Id make sure your wellies are in the car (cos you never know!), and wear muckers or what my dad would have called "stout footwear". Jod boots if youve got them, or paddock boots - (we all wear long leather boots at work, but we're not applying ;) ) basically you will be on your feet most of the day, might have to run quite a bit (lameness exams) and mucking out and getting damp - so you need somehting on your feet that can stand up to that lot and still be comfortable.

Very good luck - hope it goes well, have a fab time !!

DunDally

Visit site
I agree with the other posters and would go with black jeans and muckers/yard boots and have waterproof over trousers and wellies on hand if required. Well done on getting this opportunity and good luck :)

Umbongo

Visit site
I would second dark/black jeans and I would also recommend steel toe capped jod boots. Working in an equine hospital with some nervous/or horses you are not used to and doing a lot of trotting up etc they will be needed!

Love

Visit site
Do you have any of the full length waterproof chaps? Mine are fleece lined and amazingly warm you could put them over a pair of jeans. Hope you enjoy it!

Jools1234

Visit site
black jeans/jods, steel toe capped short boots are best, anything without toe caps will be deemend unsafe/including wellies which offer no protection at all. we are not allowed to handle any horses on the yard in anything other the steel toe capped foot wear. dark sweat shirt and yard jacket-taking water proofs is a good idea.

RubyFrench

Visit site
Thank you all for your good luck's and suggestions :)

I think I will go with black stretchy jeans/jeggings and have a spare pair in car and arrive in jod boots with wellies in car to cover all eventualities!

The funny thing is I'm not even sure how I managed to get this opportunity.... As far as I'm aware I only emailed them months ago to see if I could do any work experience as I have applied to uni and then boom, I was invited to go along for the day on trial as a nurse!