Help with 2 year old filly

tialee19

New User
Visit site
Hi, looking for some advice and possible recommendations on trainers that have handled youngsters to give me a hand,

I have 2 year old filly, had since birth as she was a surprise foal when I brought my mare, she my first youngster
She been absolutely amazing with everything apart from baths, we’re slowly getting there, not a lover of bath time

The past few months she becoming a huge handful, it’s like she lost all respect for me, one day she will be ok and another she will be shoving into me and nipping and the past few weeks she starting to charge at me and rear up, usually my mare sticks close to me so when I’m in the middle of the field I can run to the opposite side of her for safety, thankfully she hasn’t started any kicking either, my older brother helps me out when I need it and she is becoming just as bad with him
She lost all respect for personal space and I have to hide the head collar behind my back when trying to catch her, when walking on the lead rope she just stops and doesn’t move at all and have to coax her with a treat to get her moving again

I just need to sort it before either of us gets hurt or someone else does

she lives out 24/7 with my mare, she does suffer with sweetitch but starting to get that under control now, she a Standardbred x cob, 13.2hh

Thanks for any help

maya2008

Visit site
I would suggest that she is bored and looking to play (and in the process, have a go at being dominant). A larger area of land with a herd would ideally be best, but I am guessing she is perhaps a companion for your horse? In that case, you would ideally need someone to come to you to reinstall manners, and to suggest something to give her an outlet for her energy (walks in-hand, long reining, leading from your mare for gentle hacks - obviously you need control first for all of those).

Horseysheepy

Visit site
Less is more with two year olds!. Do too much and you'll chip into their devilish side! They don't mean to be like it, it's a phase, they're just learning right from wrong, like a child.

As long as they know the basics, they're best left out to chill in their field.
Just speaking from my experience, theres nothing wrong with bringing them in once in a while and picking feet out, quick groom and maybe the occasional activity such as loading practice, leading out, tarp training etc.
Sounds like she's a bit sour maybe and needs some timeout.

tialee19

New User
Visit site
I would suggest that she is bored and looking to play (and in the process, have a go at being dominant). A larger area of land with a herd would ideally be best, but I am guessing she is perhaps a companion for your horse? In that case, you would ideally need someone to come to you to reinstall manners, and to suggest something to give her an outlet for her energy (walks in-hand, long reining, leading from your mare for gentle hacks - obviously you need control first for all of those).

I’ll try see what I can do to give her more things to do, I don’t have access to a herd and can’t get any others due to only allowing to have 2 on the two fields I currently rent, and currently yes she just a companion at the moment, I don’t really plan to have her ridden until she about 4 want to let her grow, that’s the funny thing taking her out for walks in hand is something she loves and I try to take her out once or twice a month, I usually try to change the route we take to keep her interested, my mare still green when riding as she was a driving horse so currently unable to lead from my mare, I’ll keep trying to find someone that can come and give me a hand thank you

tialee19

New User
Visit site
Less is more with two year olds!. Do too much and you'll chip into their devilish side! They don't mean to be like it, it's a phase, they're just learning right from wrong, like a child.

As long as they know the basics, they're best left out to chill in their field.
Just speaking from my experience, theres nothing wrong with bringing them in once in a while and picking feet out, quick groom and maybe the occasional activity such as loading practice, leading out, tarp training etc.
Sounds like she's a bit sour maybe and needs some timeout.

Thank you, I have to bring her up to tie her every day as she suffers with sweetitch so have to put creams, fly spray etc, she quite desensitised to a lot of things, she loves playing with tarps

thank you I’ll see what I can do to try give her more time to herself

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I don’t have access to a herd

I have to pick you up on this, sorry. Everyone has access to a herd. I think you mean that you don't have access to a herd where you would want it to be and/ or for a price you are prepared/able to pay.

I think you need to send her away, but if that's really impossible, to pay a youngstock experienced trainer to come in and help you.

Last edited:

soloequestrian

Visit site
Mine became a bit of a thug when I lost my older but playful gelding. She was at the stage of being ridden so had more to do than your two year old. Got another playful gelding in and she reverted to her normal self. If she had only ever had an older mare as company I think she would have been impossible to deal with.