Help with a spooky horse!!

PolkaDot44

New User
Visit site
I have owned my cob mare since February and we used to hack out alone 4/5 times a week.

Since then, she has been spooked my bikes, cars, chased by a dog and everything has now become a problem when out hacking. She hates things behind her which makes road hacking very difficult and it can be dangerous.

I have completely lost my confidence when riding her. I am looking to send her away as she is still green in areas and I want her to be worked through these with someone more confident than I am.

I am looking for recommendations on someone who is patient and gentle! I am based in Buckinghamshire so local would be a bonus but willing to travel to get her to the right person.

Thanks in advance

mini_b

Visit site
No advice on who to send to in your area.. but are you saying she previously used to be ok to hack out alone?

I’d get her eyes checked out as first port of call.

PolkaDot44

New User
Visit site
Thankyou.
We’ve had everything checked including eyes, I’ve been told she’s a nervous horse that needs her education continuing with someone more experience.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If you previously didn’t have a problem then it’s about reinstalling that confidence again. If you’re not confident yourself that will transfer to the horse so getting some professional help is a good idea.

Good luck.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have a quite spooky arab I find the acoustic ears help him I hack and school in them and I do notice his more jumpy without them

I also feed magnesium which I think also helps and have used the global herbs TB calmer with good results, he also lacks confidence hacking alone I can only do short well known routes or he naps.

I do find he is much better in company so I don't know if your able to hack with someone for a while to try and get her a bit more confident.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
If she was previously good and nothing has happened (ie bad experience with car etc) then I’d look at checking nothing wrong with horse. Friends horse suddenly became spooky and reluctant to go forward and has just been diagnosed with KS.

oldie48

Visit site
I sympathise as I can lose my confidence too! Sorry I can't recommend anyone in your area but when you do, I'd suggest you have lessons/hacks with your horse with that trainer if you can. I hate hacking on my own but I find being with another person really helps my confidence and in turn this helps the horse become more confident in me as a rider. It's all a bit chicken and egg and you may find a confident rider doesn't get the same problems riding solo as you do, horses pick up on any signs of tension in the rider so quickly. I find being able to put the horse on the bit with leg on is the best way of keeping horses focus on me rather than something that might worry them. Try not to look at whatever is worrying the horse and use a bit of shoulder in and sit "heavy" so many of us "perch " when we feel tense and take our legs off! If your mare has been good to hack alone in the past, I'd think you can sort this fairly easily by having her ridden out by a confident rider. Good luck

PolkaDot44

New User
Visit site
Thankyou, I will give a few of these suggestions a go!

I have a quite spooky arab I find the acoustic ears help him I hack and school in them and I do notice his more jumpy without them

I also feed magnesium which I think also helps and have used the global herbs TB calmer with good results, he also lacks confidence hacking alone I can only do short well known routes or he naps.

I do find he is much better in company so I don't know if your able to hack with someone for a while to try and get her a bit more confident.

PolkaDot44

New User
Visit site
Thankyou. It is horrible loosing your confidence. I think I have now found somebody more confident to ride her!

I sympathise as I can lose my confidence too! Sorry I can't recommend anyone in your area but when you do, I'd suggest you have lessons/hacks with your horse with that trainer if you can. I hate hacking on my own but I find being with another person really helps my confidence and in turn this helps the horse become more confident in me as a rider. It's all a bit chicken and egg and you may find a confident rider doesn't get the same problems riding solo as you do, horses pick up on any signs of tension in the rider so quickly. I find being able to put the horse on the bit with leg on is the best way of keeping horses focus on me rather than something that might worry them. Try not to look at whatever is worrying the horse and use a bit of shoulder in and sit "heavy" so many of us "perch " when we feel tense and take our legs off! If your mare has been good to hack alone in the past, I'd think you can sort this fairly easily by having her ridden out by a confident rider. Good luck

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thankyou, I will give a few of these suggestions a go!

I lost my confidence when one of my horses fell on me and I broke my ankle quite badly its taken me a long time, I found you have to set yourself very small goals and go back and not have the same expectations it's bloody hard but you can get it back honestly I am much better than I was I just have the menopause to deal with now which doesn't help.