Help with an advert please (what to put and where to put it)

Nickymac

Visit site
We bought a horse for my OH last year to hunt and he can't get on with him, so I need to advertise him. He's 8yo 17hh bay gelding by Augermann VII out of a Queens Hussar mare. Lovely looking, short coupled, good limbs, feet etc, moves nicely, careful jumping but - and you knew there would be a but - he won't settle in the field when he's hunting. He's brill up front but he bounces about a lot when you have to queue for a fence. He's not strong or naughty, just buzzy. I've hunted him and it doesn't bother me, but it drives my OH mad. I've spent some time on him lately and he can go really sweetly on the flat, we've been xc schooling and he was great once he'd got over the first few, and I'm taking him showjumping tonight, so he could be something other than just a hunter. When he first came his response to anything he was worried about was to either nap, or just bounce about a lot, but he's not been like that for months. He needs someone who will pat him instead of beating him, and he's fine then!

Soooooo, how do I advertise him to get the right kind of person to come and try him? He's never going to be a plod, but he's still a "work in progress" if he was going to be sold as a competition horse. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I_A_P

Visit site
it may well be worth keeping him over the winter adn trying to do some dr and sj with him-would make him much more sellable

have you got any photos?

seabiscuit

Visit site
Can you shrink him to 15.3 hands then I will buy him?!

Seriously though, nothing is selling at the moment, might be better waiting until next spring..

On the other hand he will be 9 next year not 8...which is a bit old for a horse that has not done much..

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Are any of your or local Masters looking for a horse; he sounds just the job?!
smile.gif

Nickymac

Visit site
I'd already decided to blitz him with lots of local sj and dr over the next month so I'm hoping that will help, but I know OH won't want him around indefinitely and he'll be hassling me to get him advertised! I'm more worried about how to word the ad so that I don't get numpties coming to try him. It's not that you have to be mega-experienced to get on with him, just calm and quiet.

I'll try and get some photos tonight and post them over the weekend.

Nickymac

Visit site
C_D, although he's tall he's very "light" to ride, and our groom is only 5'3" but she rides him really nicely. LOL at the thought of my 6'3" OH on him if he was 15.3 - a bit like Toddy on Charisma. (I did say " a bit"
wink.gif
)

MFH_09 Good thinking but I've gone down that road already! I offered him to k9h but she's not won the lottery (yet!) and their huntsman thinks he'd be too big for him. I've hunted him in Leicestershire and he was fantastic, he's scopey and very able.

Do you think £4,500 is about right?

alicedove

Visit site
I used horsequest and I sold our spooky mare immediately and had a queue of about 12 people to put off after she went! First person who came bought.

I think you need to not put the bad points in the ad, and tell them when they phone, if you can take all the phone calls

You need to put the area where you are. You need to put that he is experienced in what he is and do a lot of text. Put open to vet, put whether he hacks alone, in comp, traffic etc. For only £10 you ought to put on a video of him taking a fence calmly. That really sold our horse. That is a good price these days for a healthy horse that will pass vet, and can jump, etc.

I am searching and I have noticed that all that i want to buy is selling quickly! So some are selling and I am buying. (Sadly not your size though!)

I always disregard those that are hours and hours away and those that do not put much description, also those that state "not novice ride" I think will be a complete lunatic, so I won't even phone them.

I will also often avoid those being sold on behalf of someone, as I think it is unrideable by some people or they are frightened by it!

I won't avoid dealers though. I would always want to speak to a reference if possible, that would give you a good selling plus!

Weezy

Visit site
Nicky there is someone on here whose Huntsman has lost his horse and is looking to buy another one - am sure they mentioned it in a thead in Pic Gallery - shall go have a look for you!

ETS - it is jencash I think x

Nickymac

Visit site
Thanks Armhole, good advice and very heartening to hear someone who has managed to sell a horse lately! I was considering putting "not novice ride" but I won't now as he's certainly not a lunatic!

Thanks Weezy, I'll PM her and find out.

k9h

Visit site
I am buying another load of lines for tonights euro & tomorrows lotto!! Please wait!

He is such a lovely horse & does not act his size. Luckily like most of Nickym's horses!

Failing not selling him & me not winning the lotto, you can hide him with me for the winter to play with him & get him noticed & sold. I would not want commission either!
How about putting an advert in Hound magazine?? Then you are target his fortay area although he is more than just a hunter???

Nickymac

Visit site
I'm sure he'd love to be "hidden" with you, particularly if it involved regular Tuesday and Saturday outings and being close to some very speedy hounds....
wink.gif

The problem with selling him as a whip's/master's horse is that he hasn't done either job, although you and I are sure he will. One of the Fitzwilliam whips has just been to have a look at him so fingers crossed (and I know he's a lovely rider as he used to fieldmaster for us - very "old school" style, quiet but effective).