Help with bit choice for a strong horse when hacking??????

Binyanis9

Visit site
Hi!

I have a Welsh Sec D Mare who is generally perfectly fine in a standard eggbutt snaffle when schooling. If she's got a bit more 'energy' she can sometimes be a bit strong, but nothing major.

I am a nervous rider due to a bad fall nearly two years ago and am just starting to canter with her, and so far she's been fine. My problem is when out hacking. I have hacked her out loads in just her normal snaffle and she's been fine, she's always listened and she's quite soft in the mouth so generally lovely to ride. But lately, as I have been beginning to canter while out with other horses, she's been extremely strong and I've been struggling to pull her up as such. I feel as though I almost have no breaks and she will lean on the bit no matter how much pressure I apply and I don't want to keep hanging on her mouth. As she is quite small (14.3hh), when we are out with bigger horses she will do 'speed trots' and 'speed canters' so instead of relaxing and enjoying our rides I'm now having to constantly attempt to slow her down and bring her back to a steady pace. Like I said, she leans on the bit and takes the pressure!

I have quite a few charity fund rides planned over the summer with the first one being end of May and I have never done one with her before so I'd like to feel comfortable that I have breaks and control while out and about around other horses.

So could anyone recommend a stronger bit that I could try with her? My bit knowledge isn't great as I've always had snaffle mouthed horses!! I could probably continue to use a standard snaffle but given the fact that I have to use loads of pressure and get little response I don't want her to become dead to the mouth, also as I am just getting my confidence back I would like to feel confident that I have breaks when I need them. Last week she decided that she wanted to go home while we were out hacking and although she didn't 'bolt' she cantered off home and no amount of pressure or playing with the bit had any impact on her and she spooked while cantering off and I fell off and ended up in hospital.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

SpringArising

Visit site
I use a Dutch gag with two reins on my Welsh Cob and it works nicely. I ride with one rein on the snaffle ring and one on the ring below - the mouth piece is a French-link.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
For fun rides I'd probably use a Kimblewick. As for the hacking put problems, a change of bit won't help. You will mistake her shorter, choppier, and more het up.

Binyanis9

Visit site
amymay Ah okay, thank you I will have a look into this. And yeah, it's not really problems I could continue to use the snaffle but she is just a strong horse so having no breaks is quite worrying!! She's well behaved normally just strong, and I don't want to keep hanging on her mouth and her to become dead in the mouth :( Thank you! :)

be positive

Visit site
amymay Ah okay, thank you I will have a look into this. And yeah, it's not really problems I could continue to use the snaffle but she is just a strong horse so having no breaks is quite worrying!! She's well behaved normally just strong, and I don't want to keep hanging on her mouth and her to become dead in the mouth :( Thank you! :)

A lesson or two would be a good idea, most horses will quickly learn to come back from a weight change so sitting down to slow, going into a forward seat to move on, you can do this in an arena or field to get started and it should help out hacking, learning to bridge your reins is also useful as is a one rein stop f things get really tricky.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
There's a lady on FB who's got some very good reviews, think she's called "The Bit Fit" or similar, she travels round the country and you can try before you buy, I've heard some very good feedback re. her.

For what its worth, on my trad cob I use a French Link Rugby Pelham, you will need to get an extra headpiece with this bit, but it works for him! I've tried ordinary snaffle (he takes the P in it); and a Waterford, no good as he fell out in front. This bit gives more movement in the mouth than a plain pelham and might be worth a try??

Second the advice re. asking an expert and/or your instructor to have a look and see what they suggest; think this is the best way forward.

Binyanis9

Visit site
A lesson or two would be a good idea, most horses will quickly learn to come back from a weight change so sitting down to slow, going into a forward seat to move on, you can do this in an arena or field to get started and it should help out hacking, learning to bridge your reins is also useful as is a one rein stop f things get really tricky.

Yes, I have lessons every week and she is very responsive when schooling and listens well. It's just when we are out and about she just gets really strong and a friend of mine hopped on and took her out (she is very experienced with difficult horses!) and she agreed that she is very strong and she also had to use a lot of pressure just to hold her, which is fine but I don't really want my hacks to be a constant battle!! In the school she responds well to weight change etc and responds very well to just my voice, so I'm just after a bit of extra security when out and about! :)

Binyanis9

Visit site
How is she to canter alone?
When in the school she is really good and will listen to just my voice, sometimes when she's a bit energetic she can be strong but this is not very often. When out she is very strong on her own, she almost ignores any pressure I apply and ignores any rein play or rein tactics!! I would like a bit more security when I'm out, nothing harsh as she is well behaved and isn't silly I just hate having to constantly battle with her instead of having a relaxing ride :)

Binyanis9

Visit site
There's a lady on FB who's got some very good reviews, think she's called "The Bit Fit" or similar, she travels round the country and you can try before you buy, I've heard some very good feedback re. her.

For what its worth, on my trad cob I use a French Link Rugby Pelham, you will need to get an extra headpiece with this bit, but it works for him! I've tried ordinary snaffle (he takes the P in it); and a Waterford, no good as he fell out in front. This bit gives more movement in the mouth than a plain pelham and might be worth a try??

Second the advice re. asking an expert and/or your instructor to have a look and see what they suggest; think this is the best way forward.

Ah, thank you for that, I will definitely check her out!! And oh okay, sounds the same as my mare! She's well behaved just takes the P! She knows that she has strength and definitely uses it!! She never gets away with it but it's just annoying having to battle with her and argue rather than relaxing and enjoying our ride!

I will do, thank you :)

HeyMich

Visit site

I've had Katy Caie from Horse Bit Fit come out and assess my bit/bridle/tack (not saddle) and she was great. Highly recommended. http://www.horsebitfit.com/

I'm sure your local tack shop would be able to suggest other bit fitting services in the area.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ah, we'll if she is strong hacking out alone (your initial post made it sound as if hacking in company was the issue) then I'd, Again, probably use a Kimblewick. But as BP says learning to use your weight effectively and bridging your reins may well help.

Landcruiser

Visit site
You could also try putting her into small circles whenever she's speeding up more than you want - at walk and trot only unless you are confident you can judge it so as not to unbalance her. Literally as tiny as you can, nothing else, no pulling or fussing. Let her go round till she stops, then let her go on. Repeat as many times as you need to. This is the basis of the one rein stop, and is useful to know anyway, and to practice regularly if you continue to have difficulties slowing or stopping her.

hattie2525

Visit site
Do you always canter in the same place? Some horses will lean to just shoot off until they get to where they usually stop. For a long term solution you need to ensure you can walk calmly where you normally canter before you try and canter again.

This may sound silly but if you try not stopping her what does she do? Does she carry on past the group not caring about them or is she simply trying to catch up with the big boys and panicking about being left behind? Maybe putting her in front so she isn't racing them might help?

Bitting wise it's pretty much going to be trial and error, what works for other might not work for her. If she leans then a straight bar bit will only make her lean more, so maybe try very mobile bits such as waterfords or cherry rollers. Dutch gags can be very effective and there is lots of adjustment available with the one bit, if the rein is on the big ring then its pretty much just a hanging cheek snaffle, further down creates more pressure. A good old fashioned balding or cheltenham gag with runners will raise her head and discourage leaning but they can be a lot for some horses. Try and find a good instructor who can get to know both you and your horses who will be able to see whats in front of them and help accordingly. Good luck!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I use a Dutch gag with two reins on my Welsh Cob and it works nicely. I ride with one rein on the snaffle ring and one on the ring below - the mouth piece is a French-link.

I find that bits with 2 reins work well on strong horses. My Draft mare could get very strong when hacking and she would lean on the bit. I used a NS Universal, mostly riding on the snaffle rein but bringing the curb rein into play if necessary. If she knew it was there, I rarely needed to use it.

pansymouse

Visit site
I have a strong, fit Section D x TB who I ride on Salisbury Plain (miles and miles of fast open country). After lots of experimenting and expense with bits I tried a hackamore and I have to say after a few initial eek moments its work very well for both of us. I do ride mainly from my seat which helps but when I need more the hackamore gives it to me. I'm not a fan of bitting up or hauling - a horse is always going to win a battle of strength. My recommendation is not to up the ante on the bit but rather to work on your confidence and ride from your seat.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I use a dutch gag with a curb strap on my welshie, he will go in pretty much anything and doesn't wear a noseband but I find with anything straight (pelham/kimblewick) wise he can lean and get on the forehand. I did take him cubbing in a waterford once, we didn't try that again :D. For us the gag works well in that I can use a smaller aid to get him to sit back and listen when needed. He is also very reactive to the voice aids 'ho' (stop) 'wait' and 'careful' (pay attention to where you are putting your feet) so I don't need to touch it unless he is having some excitement related deafness ;) and ride on the buckle a lot of the time.

Binyanis9

Visit site
I have a strong, fit Section D x TB who I ride on Salisbury Plain (miles and miles of fast open country). After lots of experimenting and expense with bits I tried a hackamore and I have to say after a few initial eek moments its work very well for both of us. I do ride mainly from my seat which helps but when I need more the hackamore gives it to me. I'm not a fan of bitting up or hauling - a horse is always going to win a battle of strength. My recommendation is not to up the ante on the bit but rather to work on your confidence and ride from your seat.

Hi. Yes I've heard a lot about the hackamore, I will have a look into it! And yeah I didn't want to, however after trying other things this was somewhat a last resort! She's good when hacking, just strong, so I can't relax. Me theory was I'd rather be kinder with a slightly stronger bit than harsher with a kinder bit, if that makes sense? I think the constant pressure and messing around with reins etc. just isn't a long term solution, she listens to my voice and seat so it's kind of a bit of extra security! :)

LaurenBay

Visit site
Whilst I agree riding from the seat is a great thing, its very hard to ride this way when you are struggling with confidence as your natural instincts can kick in. Its hard to get the confidence when you feel you can't stop. I would change the bit and see if that makes a difference. If he is strong on his own I would keep him in the bit for hacking at all times, eventually when you find what works for you and you have more confidence then you can learn to ride from your seat more.

MissGee

Visit site
This is really hard to advise without know more about the horse and how she goes ie does she put her head up, down or stretch out. Also, what noseband do you normally ride her in?

pansymouse

Visit site
Hi. Yes I've heard a lot about the hackamore, I will have a look into it! And yeah I didn't want to, however after trying other things this was somewhat a last resort! She's good when hacking, just strong, so I can't relax. Me theory was I'd rather be kinder with a slightly stronger bit than harsher with a kinder bit, if that makes sense? I think the constant pressure and messing around with reins etc. just isn't a long term solution, she listens to my voice and seat so it's kind of a bit of extra security! :)

I'm a confident hacker and I find as soon as I stop contact she stops being strong - it's hard to fight against nothing! A hackamore is actually quite harsh used wrongly so you need to establish the seat and voice commands before you try it imo. I dab and release my hackamore when I need to engage it, for most of the time I just have the lightest contact. I think you need to get a bit more confidence before you try hacking with a hackamore - is there somewhere safe like a school or a small field where you could practice chilled out pottering about and laying off mouth contract in the most part?

southerncomfort

Visit site
Ah, we'll if she is strong hacking out alone (your initial post made it sound as if hacking in company was the issue) then I'd, Again, probably use a Kimblewick. But as BP says learning to use your weight effectively and bridging your reins may well help.

I think the Kimblewick is an excellent and underrated bit.

My D is like yours in that the fitter she gets, the stronger she gets. I changed to a Kimblewick and she is 100% better. The nice thing about the Kimblewick is that the curb only needs to come in to play when you need it, and often once they know it's there you find you don't need to use it at all.

Also, as others have suggested, the one rein stop is another really good tool for welsh cobs that stick their fingers in their ears and stop listening! :)

Kat

Visit site
Another recommendation for a Kimblewick, I use one for hunting and pleasure rides, I have the Uttoxeter type so there are different settings to chose from. You can also experiment with different curbs, I'm currently using an acavello gel curb guard as mine is a bit sensitive