help with canter transitions

mybaileysglide

Visit site
My horse seems to really dislike canter transitions, he has done ever since I got him which was almost 2 years ago now. I was hoping people could give me their tips, experience and opinions on this.
Ned is a 16.2hh 7 year old sports horse, he had been broken and turned away for a year when I bought him 2 years ago and i share him with my sister so its just me and her that ride him. He has come really far since we got him, he is jumping well, is quite fit as he does regular canter work and is in good shape. The only problem seems to be his schooling.
He has always had a problem with canter transitions, that's going from trot to canter and from canter back to trot. He seems to get really stressed about it, he runs into it, gets the wrong canter lead, puts his ears back and chucks his head in the air (he used to buck but he's stopped doing that now). Once the transition is over his canter is lovely, he's very balanced and doesn't fall back to trot or run off. But then you ask for a transition back to trot and again he gets upset, ears back, grabs the bit and runs into the trot, or if he's really wound up he won't want to come back to trot at all. He will just do a really collected canter and then start leaping in the air and bouncing, then grabbing the bit and running into the side of the school.
I really don't know what to do, he's been like this since I started schooling him. He has his back done every 6 months, has his teeth done every year, we've tried 5 different saddles (he currently has one that was fitted to him a few months ago), and we've tried different bits (he currently has an eggbutt snaffle with a lozenger), there doesn't seem to be any excuse.
Sorry for the long thread but I wanted to get all the details in and really want to see what people think.

JillA

Visit site
Try putting a cavalletti or tiny jump where you want the transition, but also take a long hard look at your seat(s). Running into canter is really hard to sit to, you might possibly be bouncing all over his back. How is the transition on the lunge?

Embo

Visit site
my horse is having some issues at the moment with canter leads, so will be watching this thread with interest.

Have started lunging in an equi-ami. The first time you could see him really thinking about it when he got it wrong. Went disunited, then self corrected. Next time he got it in one.

Will see how we get on...

mybaileysglide

Visit site
Yeah we probably do bounce around a bit, he is very bouncy, but I've asked in light seat and get the same response. He's a bit better on the lunge, but still gets the wrong leg and runs into it. I do the exercise using a pole on the ground and that works but as soon as you take it away he gets flustered again. If I school him in a field we have the same problem, but if I'm in the field doing canter work he does perfect transitions on the right leg (though he constantly changes while we're going round).

JillA

Visit site
Ah. Some horses (mine included when he first started) don't think they have room to canter in a manege. It requires very good balance and if he is on the forehand he just won't be able to do it in the space available. Carry on teaching him in the field, and meanwhile work on shifting his balance back by doing transitions and circles/serpentines. They are all gymnastic exercises to bring his hind legs under and strengthen them. Do that for a couple of months and then try again.

Mrs G

Visit site
I find asking from walk to canter easier, my aid is clearer and my position better (no bouncing around from the trot to confuse my aids/make him uncomfortable), then when he can do this with no stress, try putting in a couple of strides of trot before the canter but maintaining your position and clear aid.

BBP

Visit site
This is probably no help at all but just throwing out my recent experience. My horse has often pinned his ears and got crabby about the upwards transition, I thought it was my riding but barring a few small tweaks all instructors have said I'm not doing anything bad and that I ride nicely. Horse has now been diagnosed with a sacroiliac problem and also EPSM, a muscle disease that means the muscles get crampy and can leak gunk as they build up too much glycogen in the cells. Apparently pinning ears in canter was a bit of a sign (once saddle and riding was ruled out). My horse does have a very weak canter though and it doesn't sound like yours does so perhaps its completely irrelevant. Dis uniting or request changing behind can also be a symptom of either condition.

LottieAdams

Visit site
Make sure you are doing everything possible to help him through the transition riding wise. If I were you I would get a couple of lessons with a trainer so they can make sure your riding is perfect through the transition, usually this drastically improves what you were trying to do. I always think 'it's never the horse's fault' cheesy ik but it works!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Are you asking for too much inside bend. Try bending him to the outside to allow the shoulder to come through. If this works, then you need to work on your leg position and give clear aids. Once he really has it start asking with no bend at all and go on from there.

One thing to think about is how many transitions do you do in a session. When it's hard, it's hard to do lots because well, it's hard! Lots of transitions in all paces and I love walk to canter as well.

romulus

Visit site
You say he is quite fit as he does regular canter work and that his jumping is coming on, so does this problem only occur when you are schooling on the flat? If it is then it would indicate a rider position error on the transition. Perhaps you are holding and driving the transition so sitting down behind the shoulder. If he doesn't have a problem if you are cantering outside the school or when. Jumping then I would use those times to obtain better transitions and confidence for both of you. If it happens in any situation then it is likely to be a spinal or SI problem especially if it is difficult to get a consistent three beat rhythm .

Embo

Visit site
I find asking from walk to canter easier, my aid is clearer and my position better (no bouncing around from the trot to confuse my aids/make him uncomfortable).

This, totally. Walk - canter is easy-peasy and correct leg. Because I can sit nice and quiet and there is no confusion in my aids. Ask from trot and the whole thing is a mess!

For me, I know it's me 90% of the time. We get a very good transition, just on the wrong leg! He seems to be finding it more difficult to bend to the right, which isn't helping... I'm guessing that's also me making it difficult for him. In walk and when we finally get correct canter, we get bend. It's all in the trot :(

It's so frustrating as I know it's pretty much all down to me - I feel awful for him. Poor horse :(

Think I need to do some sessions with no canter at all, just working on my position/seat in trot with no stirrups.

Mrs G

Visit site
Could you get someone else to ride him and see if they have any problems? If not then yes, its probably as you think and its you, but if they have issues too it could be him - something physical perhaps? For example, my horse has lost weight this winter so his saddle isnt fitting as it should, and that is affecting his ability to pick up the correct canter lead.