Help with cob mare

Rea13

New User
Visit site
Hi I bought a 3 and a half year old cob mare on Sunday we was told she had been broken but obviously still green however we tacked her up yesterday which she didn't really mind but when I got on she wouldn't move I had someone trying to lead her and she was really shaking her head also we tried to lunge her yesterday and she was turning round to try and kick can anyone give me any advice on what to do with her please anything would help thanks

Rea13

New User
Visit site
We didn't go to view her as we didn't have any transport she came from West Midlands however we seen pictures ect they said she was used for hacking but she wouldn't even walk yesterday

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ah. Mmmmm.

Well I suppose your best option is to get a good instructor to help you with her. Or send her back as she is not as advertised.

Rea13

New User
Visit site
I have been in contact with the people we got her off they say she is broke and she hacks out obviously I argued this case as she didn't move I wouldn't like to get rid of her and send her back so I have asked for some money back to go towards her training or to come pick her up and give me a refund she is now saying she will have to speak to her husband

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well at 3 and half I would expect that she's been backed, ridden away and is now ready to turn away until next year. So in reality you haven't actually bought something you can do much with now anyway.

I'm assuming you're experienced with youngsters and have the skills to bring her on.

But of course the situation you now find yourself in does show the importance of viewing the animal your thinking of purchasing, and having a vetting done.

be positive

Visit site
She is only 3 so will need schooling on anyway so if she is a nice cob just go back a few steps and treat her as if she was not properly started this will give her time to settle in, you will get to know her and her education will become more established. It is likely that she has missed out on parts of the breaking process, not everyone will lunge before backing, if she was quietly hacked with another horse she may not be very independent and just require time to bring on.

If you buy without trying you take a huge risk of getting a horse that is not correctly described, even a really honest seller does not know your ability or expectations.

vickyb

Visit site
Did you see pictures of her wearing a saddle and bridle and being ridden? Her behaviour sounds to me as if she hasn't been backed properly nor taught to lunge. If she is a quiet mild mannered mare she may just have tolerated you tacking her up and getting on, but trying to lunge frightened her. You have two choices; either send her back and get your money back, or get help from an experienced adult who knows about backing and training youngsters. If you go for the former option, please, please go and see any animal you are interested in, and assess it fully,then have it vetted. NEVER buy unseen, it's a quick route to heartbreak and debt, and also possibly injury. I am sorry you find yourself in this position, it is a hard lesson learned.

vickyb

Visit site
Sorry, just to add to my previous. How do you know she is three and a half? Don't neccesarily believe what they told you, she may be much younger. The seller sound unscrupulous. Have you got an experienced friend who can check her teeth for you? Or failing that, a vet? If she is much younger, you have good grounds for returning her. Trading standards may be your friend here.

Rea13

New User
Visit site
They said she's not been taught to lunge which is why she acted the way she did I have her passport I have also looked at her teeth the man whose farm I'm on knows a lot about horses he says he doesn't think she has had much done with her he thinks it may be a good idea to put the breaking gear on her she just needs working on

vickyb

Visit site
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'breaking gear'! The way I see it is you have a young pony who needs a lot of training, which will take time, patience and experience, or failing experience, help. Meanwhile you probably just want to get on and have fun riding. It is up to you. Are you prepared to spend months making small steps? It would be rewarding ultimately, but is that what you want? Be honest with yourself. If you start now, this time next year you will probably have the pony you want now. Good luck whatever you decide.

Rea13

New User
Visit site
I'm prepared to do what it takes as I don't want to just give up she really is a nice natured pony there are more people with a lot more experience than me on the farm that probably will be prepared to help I believe giving up is just an easy way out as I have mentioned they said she was used for hacking and it that was so she should of took to the walk on kick yesterday I think time will tell she needs a lot of time spending on her which is what I'm prepared to give as she needs to know she can trust me as she is a little head shy but not as much as she was a couple of days ago

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I wouldn't rely on people on the farm to help you - this is going to cost you money. You need to find someone to come to the yard every day to help you continue this little horses education over the next couple of weeks. Then turn her away until the spring and start again.

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
Poor poor baby cob. Because that's what she is - a baby cob. You both need some serious equine education and not by a farmer who says he's been there and done it all and no she doesn't need "breaking gear" on her whatever that is. Together you and the baby cob sound like a disaster waiting to happen. I implore you to go get some professional help with a qualified riding instructor. And never never ever again buy a young baby cob unseen.

AengusOg

Visit site
Whilst I agree that you need some help, I wouldn't completely write off the offer of help from those people on the farm. They may be competent and knowledgable and experienced enough to help you. Find out and make your mind up yourself.

Also, there is no need to have someone 'come to the yard every day to help you...'; my experience is that young horses learn very adequately with sporadic training sessions. I have just backed a filly for a client; I put twenty hours' work into her over about six weeks last autumn, during which time I taught her to accept a halter, lead, stand quietly tied, lift her feet, and to enjoy being groomed. I had not seen her again until three weeks ago, and her owners had just left her to grow. I have now put another six hours' work into her, over three visits, and have taught her to longe, accept tack and bridle, and have been on her bareback for about half an hour in total.

That's the way I do all the young horses I work with. If the horse learns something each time I see it, and has no negative experiences from our encounter, it retains its education and makes good progress regardless of the lack of frequency or regularity of the sessions. If the horse's owner is able to do good work with the horse between my visits, even better. In the case of the filly mentioned above, that is not the case, yet the filly has made great progress.

So, instead of being put off by the prospect of an intensive period of costly training, try to source the right person to help your filly to learn the fundamentals of each part of her training, and who will also keep you right about what you can do to build on that between their visits.

terrierliz

Visit site
Hi, Please could you message me with the details of the people you purchased from - heading in that direction to have a look at one, may save me a journey
thanks