Help with cold-backed horse please

Beth88

Visit site
Hi all. I have a friend who bought a horse that is extremely difficult to mount. The only way he can get on safely is to twitch the horse first. Once he's on, the horse is fine. Even when he lunges it in tack first, he still struggles to mount the horse. Any ideas on other techniques to deal with this problem would be much appreciated. Thanks!

katherine1975

Visit site
Did your friend have the horse vetted before they bought it? Might be worth getting some expert opinions. My horse would not keep still when trying to get on when we first had her, this was due to an ill fitting saddle in a previous home. She didn't come with a saddle and has been fine since saddle got sorted.

Allie5

Visit site
Cold backed IMHO is an umbrella term for sore backed. There is always a reason for it. It might be something as simple as rembered pain but it needs investigating. The horse is trying to say something and twitching to mount is not a long term solution

Beth88

Visit site
Cold backed IMHO is an umbrella term for sore backed. There is always a reason for it. It might be something as simple as rembered pain but it needs investigating. The horse is trying to say something and twitching to mount is not a long term solution

The horse has been vetted. We think it's either remembered pain, or bad behavior that was allowed to escalate. Most likely the second option.

pearcider

Visit site
I have a cold backed horse ways that I have found to help him:

rountine when tacking up and getting one:

at home I always tack up the same way and turn him in a few circles each time I do the girh up.
I then always get on in the same place in the yard, sit quietly for a few minutes then carry on.

A lot of Irish horses are used to being mounted in the stable (?!) so dont get on in an open space to begin with until things improve.

At comps I do the same tacking up routine and always get someone to stand holding his right rein when I get on.

We did start with horse treats to get on but have now managed to get on with out these.

Trust is a big issue with some horses so keep every thing calm and chat to the horse

Ive also put my horse on Ulcer Guard whcih seems to help.

I had the physio who acould not find anything wrong but I think bowen will also help as this is to do with pressure points.

Ive also heard sheep skin under the saddle helps...

Hope this helps

Cop-Pop

Visit site
My friend has a horse that was awful to mount - has been checked and is fine just learned in a previous home that if he played up at the mounting block he could get out of work :rolleyes: and if you really told him off he'd get on the floor and properly throw himself around :eek: He was ok if you launched and caught him unawares but she was unable to do that due to bad back so when she was getting on I'd stuff a large mint or something in his mouth - he would faff with that in his mouth and forget about being mounted long enough for her to get on. Now he knows the behaviour isn't tolerated he's fine to mount but still has to be done in a corner of the school so he can't move too much.

zaminda

Visit site
One of ours has had a few issues. we use a wool numnah, and a girth sleeve, which seems to help. She also gets lunged if she hasn't been worked for a few days, and gets turned in circles before mounting. We also do the girth up very slowly, and turn circles in between. She has improved a massive amount. Her issue stemmed from having hadsomeone try to break her in prior to us having her,and were made worse by a sarcoid where the girth sits.

Hippona

Visit site
Mine had a badly fitted saddle prior to coming to me.....plus he had never been taught to stand- or at least allowed to get away with walking off before being asked. additionally he was very very stressy and I feel he had gastric ulcers/issues although I never had this formally diagnosed.

Obviously a new saddle helped:rolleyes: and time spent on groundwork and teaching him to stand next to a mounting block or a fence. I also use a sheepskin saddlecloth and he is treated as if he is prone to ulcers- he is no longer 'girthy'.

I can mount from the ground now if need be, but this is usually only when out hacking.

Brimmers

Visit site
The horse has been vetted. We think it's either remembered pain, or bad behavior that was allowed to escalate. Most likely the second option.

Why do you think its the second option? Have you had any checks done, especially back and saddle? Did the vet pick up on anything that might be causing this behaviour?

It COULD be bad behavior that has gotten out of hand.

However, I would rule out any form of pain to start off with so at least you know where you stand.

My vet told me once that there was no such thing as a "cold-backed" horse - its usually a horse in pain

Sidalba

Visit site
My ex racer was described as cold backed when I bought him, and a year on I now know 2 things - that he was never trained to stand (as is normal), his jockey would just jump on right from when he was 1st broken and, also, that he has always suffered from panic attacks (I only recently managed to track down his breeder and trainer who told me this).
So he is very difficult to mount but not in pain, I have had every imaginable check done.
Suzanne Marshall (Intelligent Horsemanship) helped me a lot, but we still have good and bad days and I have to keep very calm.
Good luck to your friend, I love my boy dearly but I know how frustrating (and sometimes downright scary) this can be.

ozpoz

Visit site
I agree with the theory that 'cold backed' is actually painful back/girth/ribs.
I wish I had known this when I was younger, as I would have then understood that it is the only way a horse can express pain in being mounted.
I have to say, i feel horrified that the horse is being twitched for mounting.

hunteress

Visit site
My horse had this through a badly fitting saddle he is now checked every 3months by McTimoney new saddle and I also put his Equilibriam back massage pad on before we ride for 20 mins this pad is great I bought it thinking it would be just another crazy buy but would highly recomend for I.E cold backed ! if I were to get on him without putting the pad on his back woyld come up and he would do little bucks slightly napping.

pixiebee

Visit site
id rule out saddle fit/teeth/bit /back issues first. Does your friend always do the same schooling when he rides the horse? could be the horse doesnt like the work and is bored/objecting? what about just hacking or something low key for a while??? Also, my mare would hunch her back when you first got on and fidget, but since saddle change, she now stands at the block and lets me get on without any fuss. she was thought to be cold backed but ive had no issues.

Beth88

Visit site
Thanks for all the good advice. My friend no longer has to twitch her horse to get on and he is much improved by introducing routine to the mounting process. He's now nearly perfect to get on indoors (the barn or the indoor school). Getting on outdoors he's still learning not to rush off, but he's definitely more confident about the idea of standing still. Result!

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I bought my pony as an absolute bargain as he was "unmountable". Had the vet, dentist and backman and he had no issues, had a new saddle fitted and then started with clicker training.

My pony's problem was behavioural. He would just run around in a circle when you lifted a leg towards the stirrup. He got a click and a treat when he stood still so a helper was needed.

Once he was stood still, id put my foot in the stirrup and hop around with him until he was stood still, click and treat (Ill add hes only 14hh so I appreciate not everyone can do this!) Once he was still id stand in the stirrup and once he was still, click and treat. Then leg over, still, click and treat. I was amazed how soon he understood! Now I mount with ease and once a week I do the click and treat as a reminder. Same thing for using a mounting block xx