Help with diagnosis! Tooth Abscess?

H-J

www.piczo.com
I know this isnt comp riders but I will place in vet area too, and hopefully someone cant help :) plus incy will be a comp horse one day I hope if I ever get on him!!

He had a sore face/mouth and a slight swelling last year round his jaw in Dec, he was given anitibiotics and it went down. This came up again a few weeks ago and he again had antibiotics, vet said it was just teething but he could have an abscess. It went down slowly (slower then last time) and we have done any bridal work till a few days ago when it had gone down and he seemed fine. Then today he looks like the below....

Im guessing it def is an abscess and he is having more antibiotics, will then get the vet to look as may need an op. Anyone else seen anything like this or any experience with it? He was 3 in May so was planning to get on this summer but not had many days without rain then this so havent as yet!!

incytooth.jpg

Tempi

Visit site
Whats his temperature? and is he well in himself and eating?

Did your vet run any other tests when they diagnosed this last year? How does the vet know its just teething, what sort of examination did he/she do?

I only ask as my now 4yr old had strangles last winter, although his abcess came out internally another horse on the yard who had it had abcesses just where your horses are.

The antibiotics will make the abcess go down, but it will eventually come back again -the abcesses need to be allowed to drain/burst to get all the infection out.

I dont want to worry you but I would be asking your vet to run a blood test for definiate.

H-J

www.piczo.com
Whats his temperature? and is he well in himself and eating?

Did your vet run any other tests when they diagnosed this last year? How does the vet know its just teething, what sort of examination did he/she do?

I only ask as my now 4yr old had strangles last winter, although his abcess came out internally another horse on the yard who had it had abcesses just where your horses are.

The antibiotics will make the abcess go down, but it will eventually come back again -the abcesses need to be allowed to drain/burst to get all the infection out.

I dont want to worry you but I would be asking your vet to run a blood test for definiate.

Thanks for your reply, I havent been able to check temp yet as I am at work but I will do tonight. He has been fine in himself last year and a few weeks ago but I think he is suffering a bit today.

I would say its near impossible for him to have strangles as he hasnt really been anywhere and if he has he never touches another horse nor do we and none of our stuff has. He is only out with one other horse who is perfectly well and hasnt been off the farm for about 8months due to the owner travelling. The vet examined in his mouth and around his face and came to the conclusion he was teething and 'could' have an abscess although it wasnt as swollen as it is now. We have put him on some antibiotics and will get the vet again tomorrow I think. I will also check temp tonight.