Help with grazing muzzle! Greenguard??

basilcob

Visit site
We have a section A pony who has started turnout out and is coming in very bloated. We are at a livery yard and the field is quite big and can't be sectioned off. My farrier says he doesn't think she's had laminitis recently but of course it's always wise to be vigilant.
So I bought a Shires muzzle. I've tried it on a number of occasions now but I'm really worried she is not eating and seems to be distressed by it. She continually snorts and rubs her head. She seems to make no attempt to eat with it. I have tried feeding her blades of grass through the hole but she's not interested. I've left her for an hour but when I return she is still stood there blowing and snorting. A horse she is out with has no problem with hers. She eats and always has bits of mushed grass inside the muzzle, where as my pony has none!
I wondered wether to try the greenguard make, as it seems less restrictive around the nostril area (I wonder if the resting or touching on her nostrils is aggravating her). Does anyone have any experience with this variety? They seem quite expensive and I don't want to waste money on one if they will result in the same response! Or should I persevere with the Shires? Any tips or thoughts gratefully received.

Sarah2207

Visit site
I have a shires one for our shettie, last summer she had the same reaction as your pony by the sounds of things and really couldnt get the hang of it. This spring in an attempt to avoid having to separate her from the rest I took some garden shears to it and made the hole a little bit bigger, she now has it on 24/7 and grazes absolutely fine with it on!

caitlineloise

Visit site
They're brilliant, mine isn't that bothered by his, not that I'd say he likes it of course! But considering how much he likes filling his face he doesn't mind it too much.

IMO The Shire's kind are far too restrictive. I'd go with the greenguard, they're worth it. :)

touchstone

Visit site
I have to use a modified Shires muzzle - I cut out all the horizontal web pieces to leave the nostrils more fresh air and also cut the hole slightly larger (horse refuses to eat point blank if it is the smaller size and I've tried for a number of years with no luck with the smaller hole!)

This seems to work well, the horse walks up to have her muzzle on and it restricts enough to control weight and laminitis.

Bethie

Visit site
My pony could get the greenguard off really quickly no matter how I tried fastening it on - either off completely or pushed out of the way to the side of his face. The Shires one worked quite well last year while it lasted - pony had issues breathing as the webbing covered his nostrils so had to cut it out to make holes bigger, which weakened the muzzle and it eventually broke. I've just sent for a new one from Dinky Rugs as I've heard loads of people recommend it before and it looks to be better shaped to allow for breathing so we will see how it actually works when it gets here!

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
My horse just pushed the greenguard one aside no matter how I fastened it.

Have been using shires ones for years and he has no problem with them. Have slightly customised it so he can't get it off using the extra throat lash and centre strap from the redundant greenguard headcollar, so come good came out of it !

He doesn't look very happy in the pics does he ! but he gets on well with it and eats no problem.

muzzle001.jpg

muzzle003.jpg

threeponies

Visit site
I use greenguard muzzles on both my ponies, I have an old style one and a new style one. With the old style muzzle, my mare could just push it to one side and eat as normal but the new one is bigger and boxier and she can't push it over. This is her third summer wearing it and she has got it off once (my fault) and she tried her best to get it off. My Shetland gelding is wearing the old one and has never moved it / got it off. They are both happy wearing them, can eat and drink and play with their friends. The one downside is the new one rubs her chin so it's heavily padded with sheepskin.

Why not see if you can get on off ebay, then if it doesn't work out sell it on? Good luck with it, I know how much of a struggle it is to get weight off ponies

basilcob

Visit site
Thank you so much for all your experiences. I've 'modified' the Shires one tonight (never even crossed my mind!!) by making nostril 'holes' and I'm also watching the Greenguard ones on ebay. Hopefully she'll stop making me feel so guilty soon!:(

Lotty

Visit site
My mare hated the shires. I have the greenguard now with the halter and she's been wearing it now for 2years with no problems. I think it's worth the extra pennies.

millimoo

Visit site
Please do google 'dinky rugs' muzzles. I've been using them on my Shetland for a few years now.
They never rub, the nostrils are not covered and their not heavy. I've even managed to get my mum to pug her warmblood in one, and she hates muzzles.
The only downside is that they're made of web strapping, and the bottoms wear out by the end of the season. However if your still struggling with the shires muzzle, they're easier for a pony to get to grips with the concept of being muzzled

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Please do google 'dinky rugs' muzzles. I've been using them on my Shetland for a few years now.
They never rub, the nostrils are not covered and their not heavy. I've even managed to get my mum to pug her warmblood in one, and she hates muzzles.
The only downside is that they're made of web strapping, and the bottoms wear out by the end of the season. However if your still struggling with the shires muzzle, they're easier for a pony to get to grips with the concept of being muzzled

Could you post a picture of the bottom ? I've just googled it and you can only see it from the side, looks really nice though, much more open than the shires ones and already have sheepskin lining around the nose, I'd still have to use my customisation though ha ha

millimoo

Visit site
I will get a pic at w the weekend, but in the meantime... There is a wide web strap that is approx 2 inches wide that sits centrally over the mouth (from nose to chin) However because the webbing is not a solid structure the pony can eat to one side, just not as much..... They are now endorsed by vets on their latest packaging.
I'll post one in his new muzzle (went on last week) and another of how they wear - my mums horse has worn the strapping in the same place.