Help with hat decisions please!

Broodle

Visit site
I currently have a Charles Owen skull hat that I use for everything - hacking, dressage, sj, xc. Unfortunately I get a very sweaty head while riding and my hat has suffered! I'd like to spend some Christmas money on a new hat with a removable liner that I can wash regularly, and replace when it gets really manky or compressed. But I'm torn between:

1) keeping my skull hat for xc and buying a very ventilated modern style peaked hat for all non xc activities

2) Just buying a replacement skull hat to do everything in

I've only ever had skull caps for 35 years of riding, so I'm a bit unsure about option 1! Are the modern helmets really likely to keep my head cooler or is that just marketing hype?

If someone could just decide for me please I'd really appreciate it ☺️

Oh, and recommendations gratefully received!

Shay

Visit site
The Charles Owen 4 star is a ventilated skull cap. With the advantage of SNELL safety rating so one of the most stringent hat standards. Sadly life changing accidents don't only happen XC.

Morag4

Visit site
I have the Charles Owen Pro 2 and don't find even in the middle of summer I don't have a problem with a sweaty noggin. Personally I would go for a skull with removable liner if such is available, if you tend to have a hot head...sorry I know not a lot of help really.

mandyroberts

Visit site
I think the newer ventilated hats do keep your head much cooler and the removable liner is really good. I have a Gatehouse Chelsea Pro because it was a better fit on me than the Charles Owen. Buy what is best fit for you

Broodle

Visit site
Thanks for all opinions so far! Good point about accidents happening any time... I'll have a look at the hats mentioned.

Broodle

Visit site
Part of the problem is finding tack shops that have the right hats in stock. I've tried three so far, and only one had a skull hat with removable liner (the RXC1) and that didn't fit brilliantly. There seem to be more of the modern helmet type in stock locally. Argh!

Broodle

Visit site
Just seen your reply TFF. Do you like the Pro 2? Wondering whether to try and track down a removable liner version to try on :)

Mojo-dtxo

Visit site
Samshield hats! Best hat I’ve ever had, you can remove the liners to wash and they are so ventilated, they keep your head so cool☺️ Plus you can custom make them on the website and get all different types of colours and bling 🤩 would highly recommend!

Starzaan

Visit site
The best thing to do is go hat shopping at a show like Badminton or Olympia, because reps for the hat companies will be on stands and can find you a hat that fits properly.
Since I became a rep for Weatherbeeta I’ve spent many hours with Charles Owen reps at open days and shows, and have learnt so much about hats! You’re supposed to replace your hat every two years. I was horrified when I worked out how old mine is, and for the first seven years after buying it I was riding about 8 horses a day! 🙈

Broodle

Visit site
That is a good shout actually, maybe I should wait till badminton. Current hat is 2yo...was thinking it would be fine safety wise for a while longer, but perhaps I should lean towards a new skull cap to be on the safe side. Decisions!