help with jumping position

hamish1

Visit site
Im having some trouble with my jumping position-i tend to stand up in my stirrups instead of folding forwards. Ive practiced lots of jumping position trotting and cantering round and have been told its good when i do that but when i actually jump i dont fold! My instructer has said my leg position is spot on but just need some tips on how to fold properly i just cant seem to get it right! thanks all x

Kat

Visit site
You shouldn't be folding much most people over fold. The thing that works for me for getting jumping position right is to think about the position you get into in a manky public loo when you don't want to sit on the seat.

Was told to me by one of the best instructors I have had lessons with and it works a treat. Means you have your balance over your feet.

Maddie2412

Visit site
I struggled with this but the opposite... overfolding over small fences i really just light seat and give with my hands last year a really good teacher put it in perspective and this helped a lot now i never have a problem: think that you should be able to get into it in less than a stride (it was an exercise for a horse that took off either early or late) I cantered and trotted round going in and out first every 3 strides then 2 then every stride very gently this encourages you to 'roll' out the saddle always looking up with heels down and legs anchored and this motion will put you in the correct position... sorry for the essay but try it!!

hamish1

Visit site
thanks :) i think i get what you mean but what do you do with your upper body-should my bum be above the back of the saddle and just move hands forwrd a little with heels down into stirrups?

lloyd

Visit site
try adopting a forward half seat well before the fence and mantain this postion over the fence in a closed condition - ie a related distance / in a grid. Once you get comfortable maintaining this position leave adopting this position later and later until you are eventually adopting this position at take off.

Its hard to really get a feel unless the horse is actually making a "jump" so you would be looking at practicing over a proper fence that your horse can make a shape over - i.e perhaps not a cross pole on the ground if you know what I mean.

Practice riding in canter in the forward position before ;

1. Start with a four stride related distance with a cross pole leading to say a upright high enough that the horse will have to jump properly over.

2. jump the cross pole normally and then adopt the forward position imidatly after and maintain this over the upright.

3. land over the cross pole and taking a stide and the adopt the forward position over the fence.

4. Land over the cross pole and take two strides before adopting the forward seat and remaining forward over the fence.

5. land of the cross pole and take 3 strides before adopting the forward seat and maintaining that position over the fence.

6. land of the cross pole , stay seated for 3 strides - on the forth stride take the forward position and BOOM job done !

Hope this helps... :)

hamish1

Visit site
thanks! i am going to try that excersize-i will let you know how it goes! So basically i shouldnt think to much about going into a jumping position, but more the position you would do say going for a gallop? I dont jump very high prob 3ft tops at the moment but my horse does make a nice shape dispite my awfull position.

lloyd

Visit site
Watching the pro's the current trend seems to be to take a half seat all the time with your hands low and a minimalistic attitude to folding over the fence. This is fine for those guys as they have rock solid balance but dont get too hung up on style - just consintrate on remaining balanced and letting the horse extend over the fence.

Good guys to try and copy would be the likes of Scott Brash , very natural and fluid.