Help with mud fever please....

wickedwilfred

Visit site
My mare has developed mud fever for the first time this autumn. I now have some cream from my vet, but my main problem is actually applying the cream. She is obviously quite sore and although she will allow me to soak her feet in a Hibiscrub solution, we have battle royal trying to put the (expensive) cream on, which I am currently splattering around the yard. Does anyone have any handy tips ? We have tried holding up the opposite leg, but she really doesn't mind falling. It takes me about 20 minutes of just not giving in, to (sort of) apply the cream to the affected areas, after which I feel as if I've done 5 rounds with Frank Tyson.

herring

Visit site
Hi Wicked Wilfred if your horse is a bit of an awkward patient try the less invasive techniques first: I really wouldn' recommend washing the legs or removing the scabs at all or bandaging/clingfilming particularly if you are finding it difficult to handle the legs already. I have just treated my lively section D's mudfeverby stabling him so his legs dried up completely, grooming as thoroughly as possible (but DO NOT Touch scabs/sore bits at first) & then slathering SUDOCREME all over sore bits (just above fetlock & down for us) then as the scabs gradually become more visible liberally apply VETERICYN or HYPOCARE, also Protocon & Dermisol have worked well in past: different things work on different horses. I turned him out in school with boots & loads of pigoil on legs for couple of hours on dryer days to stop the insanity as he's a bit of a fool if kept in 24/7 & after a week he went out in day with liberally oiled legs.
In order to groom his sore legs I had to have a helper entertain/distract him with hanging swede with treats in it/handfeed haylage & nuts & even then he quite often ended up kneeling down or rearing up, but once he stopped being so sore it got easier. Wear steelies & a hat. Nutrition plays a big part too: Linseed is fabulous for skin & infammation healing,also I would not feed any grain/mix until inflammation gone just forage & linseed with vits/mins.
I have another awkward customer that I had to dope & twitch & hobble in order to dress her shredded leg after an accident; sometimes you have to resort to sedation: sedalin gel is easy to use but doesn't work on all horses(awkward mare being one!)Domosedan gel was slightly more effective, but she fought that too, I used to have to dope her +quickly hobble & twitch do lightning dressing change. She still knocked the vet out next time she saw & then bit the other vet when we met her out hunting the following year( she REALLY doesn't like vets!) Good luck, let us know how you get on.