Help with my stressy pony!

MyDappledConnemara

Visit site
Hi,

I own a six year old pure Connemara who I've owned for just under two months. He is a very stressy pony and crib bites when very upset. There is nothing wrong physically with him (I've had the dentist, vet and physio out and he passed a five stage vetting when I bought him). He found it very hard to cope with settling in to my yard, but I really want to go to Pony Club camp this year and other intensive training courses. Is it not possible for me to take him anywhere? Help would be much appreciated.

9tails

Visit site
You need to find out why he is very upset. Is he being turned out? Does he have company? Does he have enough to eat etc.

MyDappledConnemara

Visit site
He is turned out at night, every night and given a day off on Monday. He is worked Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday. He is kept at livery with excellent facilities and turnout, and turned out with two other ponies he is close with. He gets a small haynet morning and afternoon but no hard feed as he gets excitable.

SpringArising

Visit site
I would start by feeding him ad-lib hay - he needs to be kept busy. If he's eating hay he's not going to crib, for a start. One small net day + afternoon isn't enough and that might be the reason he's stressed - horses are designed to be eating small amounts of forage constantly, and when they don't get the amount they need, they can feel very stressed.

I'd also get him into a solid routine and stick to it for a few months. I would do a lot of hacking and things that will make his mind tick.

Unfortunately cribbing is a hard habit to break.

MyDappledConnemara

Visit site
He gets fed hay when he runs out, he doesn't get it in a haynet because he wind sucks on it. He has lots of variety in his work, including jumping and advanced dressage move ends which he enjoys. However he only cribs when he is about to be turned out which I am unsure about?

whiteroom

Visit site
Could you clarify - if he only gets hay at night when turned out, what happens during the day? Also, seems a tad unusual to only be out at night during the winter, is there a reason for this? Connemaras are clever, tough ponies and need experienced care in some cases.

BethH

Visit site
Having owned a connie x for 12yrs I would agree they are very smart and characterful and need to be properly understood. Is he handled in a way that is quiet and consistent, firm but fair, is it the right yard for him?

My connie can't bear loud people/actions/faffing, he is a very straightforward chap and expect to be dealt with in a kind and fair manner. I spent a lot of time teaching him groundwork as he finds it hard to trust and is constantly on the lookout for anything that could worry him, it makes it hard for him to trust his rider as he panics, so I don't let anyone else ride him as he can be a very anxious type in the wrong hands.

You might find that just one person dealing with him helps so he can feel safe, also are you sure that when he is handled at your yard it is by someone sympathetic as if they are impatient & lack understanding of his worries it will make him worse.

Finally, just to say that time helps a lot, he has had a lot of change recently, is still young and connie's are very sensitive, give him time and perhaps take him to see the world without asking anything of him, take him to watch a clinic without riding him. I think connie's are quite immature so time and kindness will go a long way, also buy the Kelly Marks "Perfect Manners" book, I've used the techniques on many horses and it generally works, you read it and feel annoyed with yourself as it is so obvious when you look at life from the horse's point of view, they don't deliberately set out to make life difficult, it sounds like he is genuinely worried by life.