help with nerves- please!?

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
I have area eventing tomorrow and i am really nervous. However, Im not at all nervous about the jumping- its the dressage that gets me!
crazy.gif

The problem is, my horse goes beautifully when im warming up, but as soon as she gets in the ring we both get nervous and tense and it wrecks the test and we end up in the bottom half after dressage
frown.gif
but i KNOW she can do a really nice test!

I have a slight advantage today though, as there is a local show being held in the field right next to our house (literally through a gate), and they have put the dressage arenas out ready for saturdays dressage, and we spoke to the organisers yesterday as they where putting them out and they said i am aloud to use the dressage arenas to practice in!

The problem is, when we tense up she doesnt go into the corners and the test becomes really unaccurate, and although she carries herself reasonably nicely, she isnt in a rythmn and it wrecks the whole test
frown.gif

what can i do to tame my nerves?! mum and dad have told me not to worry about the dressage anyway as the jumping is what is important but i still get really nervous, and i am 99% certain that tara picks up on my nerves and goes really badly
frown.gif

igglepiggle

Visit site
Have you tried a few drops of rescue remedy in a water bottle which you can drink while you are getting ready, warming up etc?

igglepiggle

Visit site
Also, when you are trotting around the edge before the bell (I notice this is when it changes for me, on grass anyway) just think, smile, take a deep breath, and concentrate on the rhythm but keeping everything nice and light and easy (dont take a hold, use your seat etc).

sfward

Visit site
Yes, rescue remedy - amazing stuff! you can give it to horses too; i gave it to mine (also really tense) once in a fit of desperation after appalling prelim test - he only went out and won the novice 20 minutes later!

hayleygunson

Visit site
We have a pony that's a little buggar! He did half a test, but because he has amazing conformation and style, he won! He wasn't very old though... I used to have really bad problems with feelings when I was riding (my pony was very sensitive) As soon as I started to get upset, she could tell - everything went wrong from then on!!! Eventually, wee got it sorted by me calming down (after a while!!!)
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif