help with rug rub on mane

bheb2186

Visit site
HELP! My boy will be in his full neck rug again soon. It rubbed part of his mane out last year and it's back at a decent length again and don't want the same thing to happen again this year.

Anyone have any suggestions to stop this happening or recommendations on lycra neck covers? if a neck cover preferrably one that doesnt go over his face and wont scrunch up overnight.

Thanks

TGM

Visit site
What type/brand of rug are you using? I've found that using rugs with nylon linings and no inner seams or fastenings in the mane area of the neck cover, greatly reduces mane rubbing.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I had one that came right over the withers, ssort of half up neck no neck attachment, but I left mane thick to keep him warm, and he only had bib clip/trace clip.
Use mane and tail shine to make it slip.

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I just don't use neck covers anymore.

same here they only have one full neck turnout each and I only use them in very extreme weather which is not that often, their manes get full of mud but I spray them with mane spray everyday so it just slides off so no harsh brushing and being Arabs they have very long manes but at least they stay intact.

catroo

Visit site
Standard neck rug is the best way to keep a mane intact.

Loads of people will swear by this rug or that rug but what works for one horse won't work with another.

Clean mane and clean rug will help, satin lining with no seams as already suggested.

Make sure the neck isn't done up too tight and leave the neck off/pulled back daily to let the hair breathe.

Ive used snuggy hoods headless hoods with some success but only for maybe eight hrs at a time

Louby

Visit site
I had this problem with combo rugs but no problem with detatchable neck ones. They just dont seem as tight fitting.