Help with stallion to put to cob mare !!

SDMabel

Visit site
So in a couple of years time I am hoping to put my mare into foal, she's just a fantastic character and would love to have a foal to keep and bring on alongside her as she gets older.

She's a 14.2hh Heavy traditional cob bred by the SD stud, my hope is to get a middleweight / heavy weight cob type to show .

Has anyone bred something similar or could recommend what type of stallion to go for to achieve this ?

Have attached some photos of the mare.

Attachments

• 362929580_6205855499543557_6768377813859956273_n.jpg
    362929580_6205855499543557_6768377813859956273_n.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 364102102_6233092060153234_8642742620015054957_n.jpg
    364102102_6233092060153234_8642742620015054957_n.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 54

SDMabel

Visit site
You could have a look through the CHAPS graded stallions list and pick out any that catch your eye:
Thank you I'm not looking to put her to a hairy.

Sorry my initial post is a bit confusing, by middleweight / heavyweight I mean a hogged 15-16hh type.

I wondered if putting her to something like an irish draught or similar would achieve this and if anyone has bred something similar.

lizziebell

Visit site
Thank you I'm not looking to put her to a hairy.

Sorry my initial post is a bit confusing, by middleweight / heavyweight I mean a hogged 15-16hh type.

I wondered if putting her to something like an irish draught or similar would achieve this and if anyone has bred something similar.
CHAPS isn’t JUST hairy gypsy types !

Asha

Visit site
If you’re looking for a ID that throws cob types have a look at Greylands Billy the kid . Or Skip & Sea and finally Hillview Farm Treveleyan .

SEL

Visit site
The stud my cob came from have put a warmblood to one of their traditional mares and the two offspring so far are stunning. They've also bred one to a Shire stallion for a bigger hunter type. If I was in the market for another and had the set up for a youngster then the warmblood X cob really appeals, but if you're heading for a big hunter type then part bred heavy is worth considering.

My cob is out of a traditional mare by one of the San Cler stallions. One of their older stallions who is a bit lighter than what they are breeding now - proper chunks - but seems to turn out very versatile offspring.

AdorableAlice

Visit site

Kaylum

Visit site
Hillview Farm Trevalyn has the same grandad Slyguff Hero as our stallion's sire. Amazing temperament. The only full brother to King of Diamonds.

Clodagh

Visit site
PSSM people will know more than me but is it coloured horses that are more likely to have it and should have been tested? Random, off topic thought.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site

This stallion is gorgeous I think Lady G should use him on one of her palomino mares the foal would be so lovely 😍

He is gorgeous! He’d be a bit big for Mim, and Miri has… creative… conformation but he’d be amazing for Barbie for next year. I would be very tempted to talk to her owner about it.

OP, I would go for an Anglo-Arab too, because I think the result would be brilliant.

My thought about trying to get the kind of horse you are looking for would be that the stallions would all be quite big for her. I might buy the bigger cob and breed a super all rounder with some Arab and thoroughbred in the mix. Biddesden has some nice ones.

Last edited:

SDMabel

Visit site
I hadn't really considered an anglo-arab (dare i say it.... I really dislike them :eek:) .

Thank you LadyGascoyne, its certainly something I need to bare in mind , there is a stud locally that has some nice stallions ranging from a suffolk punch to a thoroughbred.

I think I shall pop him a message and have a chat about options and get some advice too.

I only plan on doing it once so want to make sure it's right !

Goldie's mum

Visit site
I hadn't really considered an anglo-arab (dare i say it.... I really dislike them :eek:) .

Thank you LadyGascoyne, its certainly something I need to bare in mind , there is a stud locally that has some nice stallions ranging from a suffolk punch to a thoroughbred.

I think I shall pop him a message and have a chat about options and get some advice too.

I'd definitely go for the TB if it was me.
TB x cob are wonderful horses.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com

Sounds like Bruce so you're possibly Leicestershire way? He has plenty of choice and did have a lovely Connemara but personally, I'd go with either a TB with a great temperament or (for me) a pure Irish Draught. Keep to a pure breed, that way you will only refine her. Lots of good show cobs are by IDs.