Help with understanding BS points please

Spangles

Visit site
Hi, We've just got a copy of our pony's BS record and found out he has previously jumped Discovery & Novice. Could someone explain what the following means ?
Actual
Notional (what does this mean ?)
Total
PTS

So, to date he has Total = 75 But it says PTS = 0

How are points calculated, I'm finding it all very confusing as we're newbies to BS & affiliated classes.

Is it a decent record ? I should add he has 14 Double Clears listed on his record.
Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...erstanding-BS-points-Help#WbjcWzFS3Qs7p9sv.99

Shay

Visit site
Thats the same post just in another section?

Actual refers to the amount of money actually won which is usually more than the notional amount. Each class will offer a sum of money for winning but the sum which goes on his record is the notional amount. So you might win £100 actual but the amount on the record is £10 notional. It is the notional amount which determines what level you can compete at and which BS grade. In 2014 this was transferred to a points system with notional winnings converted at the rate of £1 per point. We switched from BS to BE at about that time so my direct experience with points rather than actual & notional is limited. But I would assume that the pony was not active in BS at the time of transfer so although he has a historical record he has no current record and hence no points. If you re-affiliated him the notional sum would be converted to points.

Whether this is a decent record or not depends on his age, how old the record is and over what period of time it was achieved. £75 actual and 14 double clears obtained over a few months would be reasonable in a youngster someone was looking to sell as a competition prospect. It is less good in a well campaigned pony achieved over a number of years as it would make me wonder what on earth it was doing the rest of the time.