Help with weeding (also in SY)

Spyda

Visit site
I rent about 2 acres of grazing with one of my stables, and have it divided into 3 paddocks using electric fencing and use one section at a time. As far as I know it's had horses on it for (at least) the past 10 years without a rest. It's riddled with White Clover, Buttercups and Plantains and I'd really like to treat it with something to get rid of the weeds and improve the quality of the grass. I cannot keep a sheep - so please do not suggest this option!!!!

What time of year should I treat my paddock/s and with what to kill the weeds? I cannot afford a contractor so would be applying the stuff myself. Any suggestions gratefully received!
smile.gif

Spyda

Visit site
We've a few docks but it's the rest (mainly the white clover and buttercups) which are totally over taking the pasture.

So, there's nothing much I can do at the moment then?

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
yes you can get your soil samples - sound to me as though your pH is too low - buttercups will take over if your pH is too low. A soil sample will tell you exactly what is going on and advise you what your soil needs. Check out this web site www.mrscrow.com they can do your samples and then tell you what to do. To raise your pH you will need to add lime - but there is no point doing that until you know what else is going on.

Spyda

Visit site
Oh okay. Yes, that sounds like a good place to start. My husband has been suggesting liming the paddock for sometime now to erradicate the Buttercups, but I wasn't sure whether to or not. Traipsing across paddocks today, after the grass has really grown from the heavy rain we've had, I appreciated just how weed clogged the grass had become. Definitely more weeds than grass now. The horses do well out there, but the Clover and Buttercups can't be doing any good at the levels they are at now.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
you get a load delivered in from your local supplier and ask your local agricultural contractor to spread it. Mole Avon is our agricultural store and they will order in my lime from a supplier who delivers and then spreads it for me - I have been quoted £35 a tonne delivered and spread.

Spyda

Visit site
Hmmm... that's not bad. Depends how far 1 ton goes. We've a Mole Avon near us, wonder if they offer the same service. Shall have to enquire on Monday. Thanks
smile.gif