Help!!

Tempi

Visit site
My usually very greedy Blossom isn't eating her tea. She'l munch her way through her haynet but isn't touching her hard feed. I need her to eat it as its got all her suppliments in. She hasnt had it since tuesday evening now. Nothing has changed, but she will eat a scoop of her mix on its own, so im guessing shes just decided she dosent like it all together.

Any ideas on how i can get her to eat it up? I was going to put some bran in it tonight (as she loves bran) to see if that will tempt her, and some chopped apples. But obviously i cant feed her bran all the time...........

I havent opened any new suppliments recently or changed anything, its really wierd.

answers on a postcard please
grin.gif
grin.gif

Aleka81

Visit site
My horse has bran in every feed he has. Only a very small amount damped down. According to the surgeon who did his colic surgery bran is fine in small amounts.
Have to say I was not convinced. But 18 months later and my boy is fine. Good luck with it!

bandit

Visit site
well, you may find that with all the recent rain the grass has become alot more lush and so she may just be full.

my horse is terrible to feed, and gets bored of his hard feed but will still eat hay. reduce amount she has to eat, and if she does eat it then give her a bit more.

also try giving her the different things seperately to find out what she's gone 'off' ...

Bx

Tempi

Visit site
yes i do dampen the feed - like the apple juice idea, might be a bit expensive tho!!

my friends horse had colic surgery and the vet advised her to give bran everyday too, so i guess it must be ok in a small amount.

Tempi

Visit site
yes i think thats her problem that shes just bored of it........she hardly gets any hay as it is and is only out on grass for 7 hours everyother day.

Last night i had a lesson and she'd been in her stable all day. When we got back from lesson she just ate her hay and wouldnt touch her hard feed. Id hardly given her any hay as i wanted her to eat her other feed, got there this morning and she was starving but hadnt touched it............so i gave her a scoop of the mix on its own and she ate that..........

SSM

Visit site
Do you put Salt in her feed? MS will not touch her feed if there is salt in it
mad.gif
yet loves her salt lick
crazy.gif
. Sainsbury's do apple juice in their basic rang and it's very cheap or try Aldi or Lidl. If feeding bran does adding Limestone (or limescale as I called it once) not counteract the negative?

miller

Visit site
Buy some D+H Mint supplement - about a fiver - got my lad eating when he had a virus and also got a friends mare eating her tea with Danilon - only thing that worked for us - it lasts ages too

Tempi

Visit site
Limescale!!!! PMSL
smile.gif

she dosent have salt in her feed, she has a pure salt lick in her stable that she loves tho!

Think i might try this apple juice idea - il pop out to tescos at lunch time and get some!

bandit

Visit site
well, i tried the apple juice hting when Ludo wasn't eating and it didn't work - he got worse if anything.

i htink sometimes they just get bored of eating the same old thing, although some may disagree....

my boy certainly does and is a very fussy eater. think if you put less in their bowl sometimes, they feel they can eat smaller amounts.

good luck and let us know how you get on.

hantastic

Visit site
Have you thought maybe she doesnt need ''all'' the suppliments you give her as you say. Horses are not stupid, they have evloved to live off a very poor diet, maybe at the moment she is getting all the things she needs from the grass and her hay.....

serena2005

Visit site
maybe shes gone off the suppliments, sometimes our boy wouldnt eat his dinner where the suppliment was if it hadnt been mixed up, he now has a herbilst who sees him and he has his 'choosen' herbs seperate from his dinner and never leaves anything

Sal_E

Visit site
PG, I don't know what the supplements are but could you try a different brand of the same thing? Most supplements are available from more than one manufacturer. A different brand may just taste a bit different .