Help!

minime

Visit site
My 2 year old Weimaraner has started to eat dog poo :eek: she doesn't eat her own but eats that of my other 2 dogs. I have changed her food and given her a bit more than before but I don't know what else to do. Could it be a lack of minerals or is it a territorial thing?
Help! It is gross.

Dotty123

Visit site
Both my dogs did this when they were younger but they grew out of it hopefully your dog will too. I dont think its due to lack of minerals or territorial, i think its a habit they pick up in kennels. Or they see other dogs do it and copy, maybe they copied the mother and watched how she cleared up after them and now they do it.

I think the only way to try and stop it is to clear up their poo as soon as they have done it and hope they forget this horrible habit.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
My dogs are kennelled and have never eaten their poo, and have never had dogs which copied other dogs in this way?

Agree though, lift it ASAP and if you have the time, put in lots of training with distractions/diversions (I presume you have a 'no'/'leave' command?) and high rewards for ignoring or leaving the poo. You'll need to be very vigilant and keep up the work but it is the best way long-term IMO and saves them from eating dangerous things.

minime

Visit site
Thanks, yes she is well trained. She only started this recently and it is hard to keep on top of the situation. I poo pick always but she will eat it as soon as the others do it and cos of the weather I don't stand outside with them when I let them out at 6.00am.
sighhhhhh what a nightmare!