Help!!!!!!

LeeBlack

New User
www.leslielush.com
Hi all,

I have recently bought a 16.2hh irish sports horse and could do with a bit of help.He is quite a strong horse but personally i feel the bit that the previous owners were using isnt working at all.I am currently riding him in a Full Cheek Jointed Snaffle.Could anyone recommend a different bit for me to use?

Many Thanks

Lee

CastleMouse

Visit site
A dutch gag on the second hole sounds suitable to him, although every horse prefers a different bit. Does his saddle fit him well? Have his back and teeth been checked? Maybe it isn't the bit. A flash could help breaks.

pottamus

Visit site
When you say he is strong, what exactly is he doing? Is he bolting, pulling, leaning on the bit? And is this when he is schooled, out hacking or both?

EllieBeast

Visit site
Try doing more riding from your seat and leg. doing lots of transitions and lateral work to lighten him. i have found with my mare that she was strong and leaning to evade the mouthpiece, as she didnt like the pressure on the roof and bars of her mouth. as well as these exercises, you could try a baucher snaffle.
s xXx

JessPickle

Visit site
if he is grabbing the bit or leaning in it a waterford could work. Otherwise I think stick to the current one just do what elliebeast has suggested

Lorian

community.webshots.com
I agree with whats been said. I wouldnt be too hasty to change his bit before you have looked at other possibilities too. I used to think my horse was strong and rode him on the second ring of a gag. One day I tried him in a french link snaffle and surprisingly he was easier to stop. He is still strong but he doesnt fight against it as much. Some horses fight even more against a stronger bit but each horse is different. If it was me id try a waterford if you do want to try a different bit. Its still a mild bit but it stops the horse from grabbing the bit and therefore they cant pull against you. Its all trial and error until you find one you both like to ride in. Also lots of schooling helped me too as it makes the horse listen to your aids a lot more and respect the aids a lot more
smile.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
I find that occasional half halts work wonders at keeping the concentration of the horse and keeping them on the bit. Also legs, my horse goes to pieces if I take my leg off when I ask him to go down a gait.

I was having a fiddle round with bits on my horse and found the stronger the bit, the stronger he was. I decided to have some lessons on him instead and he (and I) have changed so much.

Maybe have a lesson and see what the instructor thinks about his bit?

TURBOBERT

Visit site
I agree dont change the bit at present - unless you need control for safety reasons eg on a pleasure ride.
Try working in a school or at least a marked out area of the field. Transitions - lots of these. transitions within the pace too help. If he is up to it start on a ltitle lateral work - shoulder fore. Anything to make him listen and respond to you - not fight all the time.

bhpride

Visit site
Look at your riding and schooling before changing tack in order to control your horse. It's a quick fix and not a fair one to make!

LeeBlack

New User
www.leslielush.com
Hi all,

Just thought i would bring up this old post,to say thank you to the people who gave me useful advice,and to say to the minority that jumped in to criticise my riding....what fools.

I took the advice to check my tack and my horses back and they are fine.i then got him a Waterford Baucher and he is like a dream in it.It takes hardly anything to stop him now.

So thanks for the advice guys!!!!

th_P1010214.jpg
th_01082006025.jpg
<span style="color:blue"> </span>