Help?!

OvergrownShetland

Visit site
So next weekend I'm taking the pony out to dressage, intro A to be precise. Only problem being is that said pony seems to struggle to understand the concept of bend and refuses to work into a contact. Does anyone know if this will dramatically effect our scores or if we will be ok as long as we're calm and in control and straight?

Kati*89

Visit site
Depends on the judge to be honest, some will accept that you have done a calm and accurate test, and some will expect the horse to be in an outline and show correct bend...just go for it and do your best, it is about being fun and giving you something to work towards! I have seen plenty of Prelim/Novice tests even where the horse isn't in an outline and they still get good scores!
Enjoy an good luck :)

Moomin1

Visit site
I've seen horses/ponies doing unaff intro tests going around bent like an upside down banana and they've managed in the 70% marks!

taimargilbert20

Visit site
Like the others have said just go in and ride actually and try not to worry to much! Everyone has to start somewhere! and tbh I've done an intro test on the horse I ride that does prelims getting plus 67%. this was at a mini ode and he got the worst mark ever haha! Don't worry and just go and have fun! x

OvergrownShetland

Visit site
Thanks everyone :) We had a practice go yesterday and he was ok overall! he wasn't a big fan of the half 10m circles from E to X then X to B and he didn't like walking for one horses' length, but we have a week to sort it so I think we will be ok! :)

Renvers

Visit site
I think for intro it is more about rythmn and correct use of the arena

This - you can pick up a lot of marks for accuracy in intro tests, they are meant to support horses/riders who are starting out on their dressage levels so look for good rhythm and relaxation. Enjoy :D

Mike007

Visit site
Accuracy and properly shaped circles and straight ,straight lines count for so much. These are things that you can work on . With contact, less is more. Dont use too much hand ,but use your seat and legs more. Also ,daft as it sounds ,I whisper to my horse what the next movement is , It works for us. (probably I am merely preparing myself better)Dont get caught talking though!.Make those halts square and your 20 M circles 20 m . 21 is better than 19 and oval is not good (unless it is wider along the A/ C axis ,as the judge cannot tell easily.)Edited to ad that it is a good idea to learn the test , I had a bit of a contretemps with my test caller today , DID YOU SAY 10 M CIRCLE AT p, B,E, OR V ,DONT BLOODY MUMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 POINTS LOST.

Last edited:

OvergrownShetland

Visit site
I'm currently in the process of learning the test... I can't learn it by reading it, I have to have it read to me whilst I ride or walk it! Look like a bit of a numpty walking around the patio whilst my poor mother calls it out!