Help

Frans

Visit site
I looked into this after having a lot of conflicting advice about hock injections. From memory (so vastly over-simplified) exercise is needed to ensure the product is properly distributed in the joint and to give it the best chance of working. Too much time-off reduces the effectiveness. However, the injections are only relieving inflammation, therefore pain. They are not taking away the underlying problem. Therefore, exercise is necessary but anything that puts undue strain on the area too soon is likely to undo its effects more quickly. I would imagine that jumping after an SI strain would come into this category whereas appropriate work on the flat would be both acceptable and helpful. Not sure how correct this is but it makes sense to me.

Teaboy

Visit site
So a lot of articles say 5 days till normal exercise... what do we think about this? How can there be such a difference in what different vets recommend?

Mine have always had 4 days box rest with in hand walking 10mins twice a day, then 2/3 days gentle then back to normal.

Edited to add that mine have generally had it treated as a secondary to something else so not a strain/injury to the SI.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think we are probably comparing SI injections given as a precaution for a bit of soreness or stiffness, and SI injections given after diagnosis of a definite strain.

I have always been told SI injuries need work so that the muscles support the weakness, but there is no way in the world I would jump a horse one month after a definitive diagnosis of an SI injury.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
So a lot of articles say 5 days till normal exercise... what do we think about this? How can there be such a difference in what different vets recommend?

That's a US site and my impression is that in the US it's more common to use drugs as a precaution. I could be completely wrong about that. But I have known horses diagnosed with SI strains in the UK and in each case there was months of rehab on straight lines, then hills, poles and a gradual increase in work up to jumping and circles in an arena again. I've also always been told that the injury is very prone to recur even with a lengthy rehab.

I may now be completely out of date, though, it's a while since I knew of one.

Last edited:

greenbean10

Visit site
My horse had her SI injected a few years ago and had a 6 week rehab.

Two of the girls at the yard I'm at now have had their horse's SIs injected and back to work after a couple of days! I think vets who mostly deal with competition horses are more likely to say get on with it and treat the injections as a short term solution to get the horse ready for the season.

OP have you scoped for ulcers? It could definitely be something as simple as that caused by stress of being a bit sore / twisted saddle etc. I'd also think about getting his back X-rayed.

HGE123

Visit site
My horse had her SI injected a few years ago and had a 6 week rehab.

Two of the girls at the yard I'm at now have had their horse's SIs injected and back to work after a couple of days! I think vets who mostly deal with competition horses are more likely to say get on with it and treat the injections as a short term solution to get the horse ready for the season.

OP have you scoped for ulcers? It could definitely be something as simple as that caused by stress of being a bit sore / twisted saddle etc. I'd also think about getting his back X-rayed.
He’s being treated for ulcers as well, yes. I’m hoping that and some time off from jumping will make a difference.