Help!!

chessi

Visit site
Well... im 12 and my parents wont let me get my own pony.
We have looked into livery yards but there all "over priced"
being only about £45 per week half livery. They think that its soo expensive [which i know it is] but compared to others it really isnt.
There isnt a way in which i can think of to get one and its annoying me.
I have been riding for 9 years and tried lots of things.
I ride 1,2 or 3 times a week depending on dates but id love my own to show.
grin.gif

Any body got any ideas to help me to persuade them?
thanks, chessi x

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
What maybe worth a try is speaking to local farmers to see if you could rent a field, that is generally cheaper to my knowledge,a few do this,i rented a field from a farmer and it cost £15.00p/wk per horse,but there was no stables or faclities,that was just basic field/grass livery,which you may not want. But it is the only suggestion i can give
To be honest £45 a week is not cheap to pay,it may be cheapest by you, but sadly this is alot for people to pay who are not wealthy(i dont know your parents financial situation) but £45 is not cheap when you have everything else to pay for too. I am struggling to pay less than that each week and i am 25years old and pay for it myself out of my own not fab salary.

The only other option is to share a horse,the price should be much reduced,other than that i am sorry i cant suggest any more.

Honeyb060674

Visit site
Sorry to rain on your parade Chessi but I had to wait until I could afford to keep my own horse. That was dads rule! Its not the day to day unkeep, its the tack, shoes, vets and so the list goes on. Got Honey when I was 16 and had a job to be able to support her myself. I moaned and gripped about it at the time, but I can see dads point now.

vicm2509

Visit site
Are you sure you cant find any cheaper? I pay £17.50 for DIY livery and I am also in the North West. I have a large horse which in total costs me around £60 per week to keep on average throughout the whole year (obviously a smaller horse/pony will cost less). This includes hay, straw, feed, shoes, wormers and insurance.

But you also have to consider the extras like vet fees, extra farrier visits if shoes come off, replacing tack if it breaks etc etc.

Is it possible your mum will let you have a pony on part loan? Where you have the pony for half the week and pay half the bills? If the owner of the pony was not wanting to show it they maybe you could? There are often adverts on local tack shops and feed stores. Or put up a notice saying you are looking for a horse to ride and show, also stating your ability and maybe that you are willing to make a contribution to costs and the chores? There are plenty of people out there looking for people to exercise their horses for them.

Good luck
smile.gif