Helpful exercises for strength and balance (off the horse)?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I had my first lesson in ages this morning and it was a really positive experience. The instructor was lovely. She's very clear but kind and encouraging.

I rode horribly, I flopped about the saddle like a dying newt. I couldn't maintain a correct position and my legs jiggled about like wet spaghetti.

I feel like I don't have the strength and balance that I'm used to having. My lower leg won't sit still and my weight creeps into one heel, making it impossible to achieve any kind of straightness. My core muscles are weak and my upper body collapses when I'm not focusing on sitting up.

I'm currently borrowing my instructors own horse (gorgeous, beautifully schooled warmblood mare- lucky me!) until I find one to buy so I'll only be riding once or twice a week.

What can I do in the meantime to increase my strength and balance? I usually walk/run/spin but I specifically want to improve my seat and strengthen my core.

Nakipa

Visit site
Have you heard of the 30 day Rider Challenge? Google it. It is a 4 week plan of exercises that you do every day.
They build up each day and work on core strength, upper and lower leg, back and after the first week of doing them religiously I noticed a difference in the way I sat on my horse.
Sadly at the end of week 2 I broke my leg so am now in plaster. I am keeping up the core exercises as when this plaster comes off I want to be straight back in the saddle.

Odd as it sounds they also do a podcast riding lesson as well which is very good fun to listen to whilst riding.

Fun Times

Visit site
I second buying a BOSU and a pilates ball and getting a decent set of exercises worked out on them. You only need to do fifteen to twenty minutes five times a wekk to see a significant difference.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

Nakipa, I've downloaded the 30 day rider challenge. I think I might struggle with time though. How long did it take you every day?

I'm lucky that the hotel I'm living in has a fully equipped gym so I've got various Pilates balls. Will have to buy a bosu though, and if you look for exercise balls in New Zealand, you're inevitably shown to a rugby ball 😂

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Good way to measure how you're getting on with your core strength is the balances on the pilates ball. We started with sitting (feet off ground), lying over the top - bloody nightmare as you think you're going to face plant, kneeling on - reasonably straight forward and can now bounce around in time to music, and are now starting to try and stand beginning with one knee and one foot on. As your core strength improves you can hold each balance for longer :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I think it's about general fitness, as well as core. People get quite hung up on core exercises but if you're not generally fit (by which I don't mean thin), your body won't be strong and able to support itself. I know when I was super fit, cycling, swimming, doing yoga, I rode at my best. I now do less exercise and my riding is suffering because I'm out of shape. I'm still slim but not fit and strong like I was.

I would say ensure you are doing plenty of all round exercise (swim, cycle, run, whatever you enjoy), and add in a couple of pilates and/ or yoga classes.

Solari

Visit site
With all due to respect to everyone, I don't feel that the "30 day rider challenge" is a valuable programme to follow. I would advise anyone to approach it with caution.

I say this as a qualified PT, by the way.

The 30 day rider challenge is essentially a hefty strength training programme. It involves some classic exercises like squats and planks, as well as some more niche ones like "belly twisters" and it asks you to do a lot of them every day for 30 days, giving you some variety as you go along.

I have quite a few issues with it:

1) It requires a lot of effort. This is great for someone who is willing to give a LOT of effort for 30 days and has built themselves up mentally for such a heavy programme. But frankly the average rider isn't anywhere near ready for this. Maybe once or twice a week... but not every day.

2) There's a lot of variety in the exercises and the claim is that they are all doing something different. Sure, that's true to an extent. However there is so much variety, which takes a lot of effort to get used to (some exercises need different equipment, and each new exercise will require some "getting used to" as your muscles adjust to a new movement)...and in my view this variety is excessive. In reality there are probably 3-5 different exercises that cover most of what you need and that's it. You don't need to go OTT with so much variety. The makers of this "30 day challenge" have just added this variety to make it seem like these are the exact exercises that you need to do to achieve this magical riding ability after 30 days... when in reality you're probably faffing about too much and it's more efficient to focus on doing fewer exercises.

3) If anyone spent 30 days intensely putting in effort on any kind of exercise. Even if they just went on a run every day for 30 days... then they will see an improvement in their riding. So hardly surprising that if they did these 30 days of squats, planks, obliques, etc etc every day that they'd see an improvement.

4) The whole sign-up and click on a link in your e-mail to download just week one of the programme thing reminds me of those old-school pseudo-scams from the 90s like "how to jump higher within 30 days" and "how to get a girlfriend within 2 weeks". They're really dodgy.

/Rant over.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Interesting points, thanks Solari. I was also a bit suspicious of the sign up to receive the email bit. So far no one has asked me for my bank details. When they do I will run screaming 😂

I only have access to week one at the moment. It starts by saying that she isn't a professional fitness trainer and that the exercises are those that focus on balance, so I wasn't under any illusions that it was a specifically tailored scientifically accurate program.

I haven't come across anything that requires any equipment yet. If I do, that would probably put me off as I need to squish this into my morning.

This morning took me 20 minutes. Squats, lunges, crunches, kicks and 10 second plank. Think there were six exercises in total, 10 of each and the circuit was repeated twice.

I agree that 20 minutes of any exercise would probably achieve the same thing. I'm hoping this just gives me a plan to stick too. I'm probably more reliable when I have a checklist to complete.

I'm adding this to what I usually do, so I will still do 20 minutes on the bike in the afternoon and walk/run (4-5km) in the evening.

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
As a Physio who is just about to begin my case studies for Equipilates I cannot recommend it more. You will get a full biomechanics screening to determine exactly where and what you need to work on and it's not just Pilates it's so much more. It's so rider specific and after spending 4 days last week on learning all the different techniques etc... Oh my goodness the difference in my riding this weekend. If I didn't know what I'd been doing I wouldn't believe myself, if that makes sense. This is from a fairly fit Physio who at least attempts to look after herself generally!!!

We are all so busy and we need as much 'bang for your buck' as possible. If you're going to put the effort in you want the most possible return. I would recommend this.

Oh and I agree with what Solari said too!!!

stilltrying

Visit site
Do you have any hills near you? Mountain biking is great for overall body strengthening! Descents aren't dissimilar to horse riding, and for short climbs I put in a higher gear and stand up, gives you a full body work out. As someone else has, said the fitter i am the better i ride. : )

Trules

Visit site
I have been doing a home yoga dvd for about 9 months now, mainly a 15 minute core strength work out that includes a lot of plank work, and I feel it is helping my riding massively, (not that I do much more than hacking with horse currently rehabbing) but yes can't recommend enough. big fan.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Quick update.

I've been doing the 30 day challenge in the mornings. I have noticed an improvement in my core muscles but can see why people have pointed out that it's not well-rounded. It's pretty much all core and my balance is still useless.

My one leg is significantly weaker than the other so I still feel lop-sided in the saddle. My instructor noted that I'm effectively riding a half-pass just to keep the horse straight.

In addition to the 30 day thing, I'm still doing my usual spinning session and 3-5km walk/run along the cliffs in the evening so my general fitness is ok. I am also going to add some swimming to my evening routine- mainly because it's so hot and humid here at the moment.

I have also signed up to start yoga 😄 I'm probably the least "zen" person on the planet so we will see how this goes but my husband has agreed to join me which is very supportive of him... and somewhat hilarious. Oh dear, I'm going to get expelled, aren't I?

claracanter

Visit site
With all due to respect to everyone, I don't feel that the "30 day rider challenge" is a valuable programme to follow. I would advise anyone to approach it with caution.

I say this as a qualified PT, by the way.

The 30 day rider challenge is essentially a hefty strength training programme. It involves some classic exercises like squats and planks, as well as some more niche ones like "belly twisters" and it asks you to do a lot of them every day for 30 days, giving you some variety as you go along.

I have quite a few issues with it:

1) It requires a lot of effort. This is great for someone who is willing to give a LOT of effort for 30 days and has built themselves up mentally for such a heavy programme. But frankly the average rider isn't anywhere near ready for this. Maybe once or twice a week... but not every day.

2) There's a lot of variety in the exercises and the claim is that they are all doing something different. Sure, that's true to an extent. However there is so much variety, which takes a lot of effort to get used to (some exercises need different equipment, and each new exercise will require some "getting used to" as your muscles adjust to a new movement)...and in my view this variety is excessive. In reality there are probably 3-5 different exercises that cover most of what you need and that's it. You don't need to go OTT with so much variety. The makers of this "30 day challenge" have just added this variety to make it seem like these are the exact exercises that you need to do to achieve this magical riding ability after 30 days... when in reality you're probably faffing about too much and it's more efficient to focus on doing fewer exercises.

3) If anyone spent 30 days intensely putting in effort on any kind of exercise. Even if they just went on a run every day for 30 days... then they will see an improvement in their riding. So hardly surprising that if they did these 30 days of squats, planks, obliques, etc etc every day that they'd see an improvement.

4) The whole sign-up and click on a link in your e-mail to download just week one of the programme thing reminds me of those old-school pseudo-scams from the 90s like "how to jump higher within 30 days" and "how to get a girlfriend within 2 weeks". They're really dodgy.

/Rant over.

I joined the 30 day rider challenge having heard about it earlier on in this thread. I completely agree with you. I am no physio, just an average rider in my 40's and I thought maybe its for young'uns. I found it completely de motivating. It is very hard and you have to keep looking the exercises up because they frequently change, which is annoying. I couldn't fit in the walking time either. I gave up pretty quickly and agree anything that strenuous for 30 days is going to make a difference, I just couldn't stick to it.I'm away on holiday soon for a couple of weeks and was hoping to do some of these exercises each day to keep me in trim for riding when I come back.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
It's been 2 months since I started this thread so I thought I'd post an update.

I took the original 30 day rider challenge and modified it slightly to suit my schedule.

I'm doing circuits 3 times a week now, sticking to squats, leg lift crunches, oblique twists, side bridges, belly twisters and plank 15 seconds. Same running/walking/spinning routine.

Results have been encouraging. Lower leg is signifcantly more still and thighs have been secure and taking my weight in rising trot. No more spaghetti legs.

The only thing I am still struggling with is becoming quite twisted in my core, especially when riding circles. I don't know why, but I scrunch myself up. I think I might be trying to compensate for her falling in on the circle so I end up riding the circle from my pelvis down and then doing something peculiar with my upper body.

Anyone done anything similar or am I just an odd-ball? How would you correct it? Bearing in mind that the horse is beautifully, professionally schooled so it must be me.

philamena

Visit site
Read some Ride With Your Mind - the essentials book has some really useful imagery to help you create the right tone in your upper body - as in seat upwards. The prob with a lot of core exercises is they teach you to pull your stomach muscles in to engage whereas riding well needs you to create a totally different kind of tone around the waist, hips and ribs - more about being "stuffed" than contracted ... this would really help with your collapsey corners problem ;-)